Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Is a CEA count of 170 survivable?
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Is a CEA count of 170 survivable?

My 70 year-old father had surgery for colon cancer 17 months ago.  It was considered to be at stage 4--they removed half of his colon, gall bladder, appendix, part of his liver, and some additional tissue beyond the intestinal wall.  At that time, his CEA count was 17.  After chemo, it was lowered to 5.5.  He had a clean colonoscopy in November '01, but his CEA was elevated at that time to 14.  MD said it was due to diverticulitis.  Two weeks ago, a CAT scan revealed a spot on his liver.  CEA count is now 170, off the charts.  He is having a "PET" scan evaluated this week.  He otherwise is feeling fine, has gained back all of the weight he lost and has no other symptoms.

From research, I've seen that the chance of recurrence of cancer after a stage 4 diagnosis is quite high.  It's disturbing to see a CEA count so high.  Has anyone seen a count this high and the person survived?  Does colon cancer typically recur as colon cancer or does it spread to other places?  The CAT scan showed the lungs were clear, but I don't know to what level of accuracy it can be predicted from the CAT scan.

Anyone with experience out there, I'd appreciate your input, good or bad.

LindaO, worried daughter