Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Is ice cold water bad for the digestive system

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

My mother, a retired elementary school teacher, feels very strongly that drinking water with ice cubes is very bad for the body. Does anyone have any evidence to either back up this point of view, or is it a type of "old wives tale"?
I once read somewhere (sorry- I can't remember where) that ice water on your stomach causes a greater output of acid than room temp. or warm water.  I know that ice cold water upsets my stomach whenever I drink it!
I do know that when one has food posioning that warm soda is best and when one is sick with the flu/cold room temp fluids are best.
I think it may be true.  I have Ulcertive Colitis and according to a book titled, "Eating for IBS" by Heather Van Vourus it states that "ice-cold liquids can cause problems on an empty stomach, but feel free to enjoy hot teas anytime."  Hope this helps!
A related discussion, is drinking ice water unhealthy was started.