Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Isolating cause of high ggt

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Isolating cause of high ggt

On 8/20/2000 my ggt was 107, alk 104, bilirubin .7, ast 32 and alt 46. My Dr. suggested I stop drinking for 30 days and retest. I ignored it for 4 years. I am a 2 to 2.5 beer a day drinker (pretty steady)and have been for the last 15 years or so. The elevations didn't seem like a big deal.

Early this year, I started feeling cruddy, so I stopped drinking for 30 days and redid my liver panel on 2/20/04. My ggt was up to 139, bili total .6, ast 46, alk 129, alt 84.

Are these elevations consistant with my alcohol consumption, and, if beer is the cause, how long do I need to lay off before the levels come down? I have continued to abstain from any alcohol (since 1/20/04) and thought I'd redo the liver panel in another month, before going to see the GI specialist. If beer was the culprit, how much should the ggt / other levels go down by? If this is not drinking related, what are some other causes? At what point do I rule out alcohol and start other tests? Which ones would you recomend.
An isolated elevation in serum GGT or a GGT elevation out of proportion to that of other enzymes (such as the alkaline phosphatase and alanine aminotransferase) may be an indicator of alcohol abuse or alcoholic liver disease.

Elevated serum activity is found in diseases of the liver, biliary tract, and pancreas.  I would repeat the GGT again off alcohol in another month.  If it continues to be elevated, I would consider a hepatitis screen and an abdominal ultrasound.  That would be the most reasonable initial test to evaluate the liver and gallbladder.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.

Bibliography:
Pratt et al.  Alkaline phosphatase and other enzymatic measures of cholestasis.  UptoDate, 2004.
A related discussion, Elevated GGT was started.