Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
It Feels Like I Have Swallowed Glass?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

It Feels Like I Have Swallowed Glass?

Hi Docs,  I have a long history of inflammatory bowel disease. The last couple of months it feels as if my gut as shut down.  I was wondering if this could be do to my inflammtory bowel?  I have painful, narrow calaber stools and filled with fresh/ dark blood.  At times it feels either I have swallowed glass or totaly lose urge to move my bowels.  I also have a condition called Arnold-Chiari Malformation type 1 which is a congential brain malformation of the cerebellum compressing my brain stem.  I have loss of sensation from the neck down at times.  I am being refferred to neurosurgeon to correct but don't know if this could cause loss of mobility of bowel?  My doctor is also refferring me to a gastroenterologist for consultation.  I was diagnosed originally irriatable bowel disease, which was incorrect.  I have also been passing bits of blacked/reddish tissue with stool.  Should I worry about this.  I don't know what intestinal tissue looks like but it doesn't look like anything I have eaten. Have you heard of anyone passing intestinal tissue in flair of colitis?  I know I will probably will have to go through another colonoscopy, which I have got to say are extremely painful. I am only 33 years old and have had 5 colonoscopy and 6 gastoenteroscopy.  I though I was in the clear for not having to go through enother one.
  If you could give me some information on symptoms of colitis it would be great?  I know
  I worry about the tissue and blood thing?  I know this could be a sign of colon cancer.
  Sincerely, Anneliese
_____________
Dear Anneliese,
there are several types of inflammatory bowel disease.  Ulcerative colitis, an inflammatory condition of the lining of the colon, presents with diarrhea and bleeding.  Crohn's Disease which can involve any part of the GI tract and all the layers of the bowel wall, causes a number of symptoms including pain, fever, constipation and/or diarrhea and bleeding.  There can also be symptoms of fistula, abnormal connections between different parts of the bowel.  You will require repeat evasluation of your GI tract to look for possible treatable causes for your symptoms.
This information is presented for educational purposes.  Always consult your personal physician for specific medical questions.
We would be happy to see you in the Division of Gastroenterology of Henry ford Health System if you would like a second opinion.  You can arrange an appoinment with Dr. fogel, one of our experts in inflammatory bowel disease by calling our Physician Referral Line at (800) 653-6568.
HFHSM.D.-rf
*keywords: inflammatory bowel disease
0.2