Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
LES/Cancer
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

LES/Cancer

Greetings,

I'm a 40 yr old wht male under lots of stress. I've had GERD for a number of years and have taken prilosec for the symtoms (symptoms). In the past 4 months, I have had a series of frightening episodes of extreme fullness, bloating, tachycardia, sweating etc after eating. These symtoms (symptoms) are very much like angina and 2 weeks ago I ended up in the emergency room.

Now the episodes have become so frequent that I can only eat or drink very little at one time.  I have changed my diet and I lost about 10 lbs in the past 2 weeks. I've had a series of tests in the past 3 months, (Barium x-ray, abdominal CT, sonogram) all negative. The CT was last week. My dr believes that I have lower esophageal spasm (LES).

I am concerned about ruling out esophageal cancer. Also, I understand that a motility study wont do much good except confirm what we suspect since theres no real treatment for LES. Is there still a chance that I have cancer? Is there an effective treatment for LES?

Thanks in advance for your response.