Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Leakage after a bowel movement

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Leakage after a bowel movement

I am at my wits end! I am a 37 year old male (average height and weight) and have been having bowel issues over the past several months. I usually have a bowel movement every one to two days. The consistency is usually soft (messy to wipe) and ranges in color from brown to a slightly orangy brown. The amount of feces seems normal, but the problem is that the feces does not all fully exit which causes irritation around my anus throughout the day, and the need to wipe myself several times throughout the day! I am a heterosexual male and do not have any known medical problems. Approximately one year ago, I was treated for a stomach ulcer and had colonoscopy done. A single benign polyp was removed, and medication solved the stomach ulcer issue. I do have normal bowel movements on rare occasions (solid consistency, complete removal and minor wiping) but these are not very often. I am so aggravated and inconvenienced by this problem that I almost want to reach in and dig out the excess!!! Please, if you can offer any advice, I would greatly appreciate it!! Thank you!!
  • leakage!
    I am wondering if I have IBS. Normally my bowel habits a...[more]
  • anal leakage (4 replies):
    I have anal leakage ;what can I do to stop it? This di...[more]
  • bowel leakage (1 replies):
    My son is eight years old and has Austism. After several...[more]
  • Anal Leakage (1 replies):
    Hi, I am a 19 year old male and I am having a problem wi...[more]
  • anal leakage (1 replies):
    I am a 26 year old male with Hepatititis C. I have had i...[more]
With a normal colonoscopy, this would rule out most of the major disorders that can lead to this (i.e. cancer).

You can consider tests to evaluate the anal sphincter muscle.  More specialized testing like anorectal manometry, defecography, or an endorectal ultrasound can be done to evaluate this as well as other disorders that can lead to the symptoms.

Depending on what is found, you can consider a referral to a colorectal surgeon for a more thorough evaluation.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
Of course, I'm no doctor, but you may have a fistula or a fissure that is causing the leakage.  Is the leakage solid stool or is it clear-ish drainage like?
Wow! I finally found someone with the same problem. I have had the problem for the past 2 years and it is getting progressively worse. I take 40 mg Zocor and I have never had a colonosophy. At first the only way to stop the leakage after a BM was to take a shower right away. Now, I have take another shower 1-2 hours later. I am taking Anti diarrheal medicine in hopes to reduce the leakage by getting the BM more formed. I do take Prilosec (half tab every other day) to stop heart burn from an over acid producing stomach. if you have found anything to stop this leakage, please let me know.
A related discussion, bowel leakage was started.
A related discussion, anal leakage, messy stools was started.
A related discussion, Soft stool that gets over to the vaginal area was started.