Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Left sided abdominal, hip and back pain associated with irritable bowel...

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Left sided abdominal, hip and back pain associated with irritable bowel syndrome

I'm 45 years old.  My doctor has told me I have IBS.  I started with upper gastro symptoms, which are not a problem anymore.  Then I started having diarrhea.  Have taken fiber supplements, which help somewhat.  I have recurrent crampy pains and discomfort in my lower to mid left abdomen, which radiates to my back and left hip.  It feels like it is caused by gas.  I thought Metamucil may be aggravating this, but I still have the problem.  I was concerned for a time about ovarian cancer, but had a transvaginal ultrasound which my doctor told me ruled that out.  I'm wondering if anyone else with IBS has this left-sided pain.
I was diagnosed with ibs too and have suffered from pain in my left side too but not all of the time. I too take Metamucil..one teaspoon in the morning and before bedtime. I went to the doctor complaining of this...alot of gurgling in my stomach...stomach cramps which radiate through ..not my stomach actually but the area underneath your belly button,from one side to the other and it can go into my left hip as well with a burning aching pain.
He told me to eliminate all diary products and take probiotics every day and they have now gone away. Sometimes an over growth of bad bacteria can cause cramping and diary products can add to the bad bacteria. So you might try to cut certain things out of your diet and see if that is the cause of the pain. You might want to watch your stress level too as mine flares up when I am stressed or even when i am pmsing..which after 40 feels like all of the time. This is what works for me..I hope you can get some relief soon,
Best of luck, virgo
Have you had a colonoscopy? Sometimes left side pain can be caused by diverticulitis.
pro-biotics
http://www.iknowthecause.com/shop.mv?PROD=funguslink

fungal illness is a health problem it is, how to recognize it by its symptoms, and how to eradicate it from the body. The testimonials presented give strong support to the seriousness and frequency of fungal illness as a human health problem. I, too, have seen in my own practice

fungi representing the primary underlying cause of diverse health conditions including chronic fatigue syndrome, crippling arthritis,

severe intestinal disorders,
chronic allergies, chronic respiratory illness,