Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Life Expectancy After Gall Bladder Removal

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

A co-worker had her gallbladder removed five years ago.  She is concerned becuase she was told that the life expectancy for any person who has their gall bladder removed is seven years.  

Is this true?  My mother had this same surgery last year.
I had my removed more than 6 years ago and still kicking alive..
I sometimes find it hard to eat certain food or drink but not much has changed for me.Just to let know my life hopefully will be a long one..
Byeeeeee..
My grandma had her's removed years ago and she is 93. I also have an aunt that had her's removed about 30 years ago and she is fine as well. I really don't think that it true.
Where on earth did you hear that?I had my gallbladder removed 2 years ago.The doc told me a gallbladder is really a pretty useless thing anyway.The only problem I had after my removal was severe pain about 2 weeks after when I didnt eat a bland diet,like my doc ordered.The pain was so bad I thought i was going to pass out.Please let me know where you heard that info,I would like to know.

susu
Although some of us who have had our gallbladders removed and continued to have problems following surgery have felt like we were dying, I've not known of anyone who has been given a life expectancy following gallbladder removal.  I certainly don't know why your co-workers doctor would tell her that unless she maybe had cancer associated with her gallbladder removal and maybe she just didn't tell you the whole story.  Anyway, best of luck to your co-worker.  Hope things work out well for her.
well I had my gallbladder out about 6 years ago and havent been the same since, I did not have stones, it just wasnt working corectly, ejection factor was very low, was not ejecting bile hardly at all...The only problem is I did almost die a week later when I had to be rushed into the emergency room with a bile leak, the surgeon missed clamping off a bile duct and I had bile spreading all through my system...bile is very corrosive, I think I now have scar tissue and adhesions every where inside of me, had a hysterectomy 3 years later and my md said I had adhesion wrapped totally around my right ovary, had to take it wether I wanted it taken or not....I will never be the same because of his mistake, have a lot of irritable bowel upsets now....and this was a surgeon that did a million of these surgerys, should have known the body inside and out...but I am still alive, not dead yet although I dont know what is going on inside of me.....do I have adhesions everwhere and scar tissue...probably...just one nightmare story to share....thank you to all for listening and all take care....
A related discussion, how to remove gallstones naturally? was started.
A related discussion, Life Expectancy After Gall Bladder Removal was started.