Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Light brown to yellow brown stool

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Light brown to yellow brown stool

I am a 24 year old male. For several months now my stool has been a consistant light brown to yellowish brown color. The consistancy is usually solid, but occasionally it will be loose and seems like it contains more water than usual. This sometime irrates the anal area and causes it to bleed a little. A week ago I ate something that didn't agree with me and had a bout of greenish diharrea that lasted for about 2 days. That is the first of such problem. I do not have any history of any digestive problems or colon cancer in my family. After some research I thought IBS might be the cause, but then again I am not sure. I do not have any other symptoms associated with this. I am seeing a GI doctor in a couple of days to check it out. Do you know of any ideas as to what could cause this. Also, are there some tests I should run when I go to the doctor. I don't want to run every test there is due to a high deductable insurance, but I want to do what is necessary to check it out. Thank you.
Other causes would be various bowel infections, inflammatory bowel disease, malabsorption, or irritable bowel syndrome.  

I would consider a flexible sigmoidoscopy to further evaluate the bowel wall as well as sending out the stool for infection and malabsorption analysis.  If negative, treatment for irritable bowel syndrome can be considered.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician or GI physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
I have a similar problem.  Lately when I've gone to the washroom, my stools are bright yellowy-orange, and fill the entire toilet bowl (4-5 times daily).  My doctor was going to test me for I.B.S. but hasn't yet.  I am concerned about the amount and colour of my stools.  What could this mean?
A related discussion, Ulcers was started.