Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Light headedness after eating.

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Light headedness after eating.

I'm a 69 year old male, 5' 11", 150 Lbs. (normally 165). I've been in good health all my life with few medical problems. About 18 months ago I began haveing near fainting spells (light headed, loss of vision, dizzy,) when I stand up after sitting, nealing or reclining for as little as 1 minute. This only happens after I've eaten a meal, (normal size, normal food). The problem lasts for about 3 hours after eating. On an empty stomich I have no problem. About the same time this started I began haveing pain at base of skull and throbing sensation at throat and neck. I've had CT scan of head, neck, chest and heart, all normal, also had thyroid check. I'm loosing wieght because I'm skipping meals to avoid the problem. Any ideas would be appreciated.........   Bob J.
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

What you are describing may be known as postprandial hypotension.  This refers to a post-meal drop in blood pressure after rising.  Surgeon is correct in his comments below - due to the meal-inducing pooling of blood, this leads to inadequate cardiac output and thus a drop in blood pressure.  The exact mechanism is not well understood.  Another contributing factor is the effect of insulin causing a dilation of the blood vessels.

Caffeine has been traditionally recommended as a treatment, but there are no studies suggesting that it consistently works.  A medication called octreotide has also been studied, but this is a medication given via IV and is in investigational stages.  I would discuss treatment with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
after eating, blood flow to the gut increases, thereby relatively robbing flow to other areas. In some people, this could translate into postural dizziness when getting up. It's very unlikely to be significant; one thing is simply to get up more slowly, and to stop before getting all the way up. Another is to consider whether you could be relatively dehydrated, from any medications you might be on, or from simply not taking in enough fluid. Of course, without actually seeing you it's not possible to be certain the above is the explanation.
Helo BOB.
I have the same condition.I was a sportsmen and had no problems.After some dhiarea I started this thing.As soon as I eat anything I get dizzy and drunk like and it last about 2 hours.More solid food it is worse it gets.I avoided meals not to experience this problem.I experience toxic like reaction after the meal allmost like that I would be poisoned.Ear pains and often sore throat and arthiritis like symptoms lasting about 1 hour.Tests thyroid I developed because of this nodul on thyroid 2cm.I developed also fall of the sugar 2,7 after first hour of glucose drink.However I had never had this before.I was checked for pilori bacter I had it.Present level of infestation of pilori bag is as follows.Europe 75% of population.USA 50% of population,Canada 35% of population.This bug you can pick anywhwere suspect is milk but restaurants etc are other sources.There is 20 varieties of this bug.Some can cause ulcers some can cause cancer in the stomach and digestive troubles galore.Bug produces cytotoxin which which affects are deadly for human body.Go and have yourself checked for this bug.Blood test serum.Helicobacter Pillori.Discovered in Australia about 10 years ago.Stay away any sugars they for some reasom make it much worse.Alcohol too.Light headeness can be also caused by constipation and constipation can be caused by inflamation (inflammation) of stomach and intestines.Take fish oil Glucosamine chondroitin lactobacilus and go on rice,potatoes and simple foods small portions.Drink a lot of tea herbal.In the morning take juice from raw potatoes an the empty stomach.Stay away from eggs and MILK for sure.If all this fails.Drink in juice mixer following wild blueberies some banana rice coocked/brown/ and some soya drink couple of times a day you will stabilize.I am sure today it is caused by a bug but our medical proffessionals are busy making money and the time for the individual is so small that to find it for them is not worse it.
A related discussion, Lightheadedness after eating was started.
A related discussion, lightheadedness was started.
A related discussion, light headed after eating and on moving my limbs was started.