Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Lingering problem

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Lingering problem

For about a year now I've noticed that I've had, what I can only assume is, anal leakage.  However, it's usually about 30 minutes after I have a bowel movement.  It doesn't leak into my pants but I have to go wipe again about a half hour later.

Occasionally, I notice small amounts of blood on the toilet paper after I wipe.  Nothing realy big, I don't notice anything in the toilet.  None of this is painful but just bothersome.  I never really thought much of it until the other day when I passed gas and I did leak into my pants.  What concerns me is that it was extremely watery and didn't particulary smell.

Please give me any kind of advice that you can.  I also suffer from folliculitis (of about 3 years).  I had that checked up (biopsy, etc.) at a number of dermatologists and they said that there was no fungus, bacteria, etc. to speak of so there was really no cure.  Is it possible that these two problems are interrelated?  My dermatologist and family doctor said that the folliculits is nothing to be worried about and that it would eventually pass.  However, with this bowel issue I have grown more concerned.

Thanks in advance.
Fecal incontience is certainly a possibility.  The best method to evaluate this would be an anoscopy and flexible sigmoidoscopy.  If negative, I would pursue evaluate with anorectal manometry which investigates the sphincter muscle.  

The flexible sigmoidscopy is especially important if there is blood.  Any type of anorectal cancer can lead to fecal incontinence and should be evaluated thoroughly.  The flexible sigmoidoscopy can also evaluate for colonic disease that can lead to the watery characteristic of the stool.

I am unaware of folliculitis being connected with fecal incontinence or rectal hemorrhage.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.