Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Liver Biopsy Pain

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Liver Biopsy Pain

I had a liver biopsy Thursday and it was quite painful. I didn't expect it to be that bad. I couldn't breathe without severe pain on the right side until yesterday. Its better now, but when I lay on my back it is still uncomfortable when I exhale. My question is has anyone else had discomfort for this long after a liver biopsy?
yes, i just had colon surgery plus they took 5 biopsies of my liver i had severe pain under the right side when i layed on my back or my right side even when if breathed in. i spoke with my surgeon and he said it was normal for there to be pain after the biopsy but in a few days to a week or so it should go away .and in fact it has .if i were you i would keep an eye on it and if the pain does not go away i would consult your surgeon or specialest that did the biopsy .this was the same advice i was given by my own surgeon.which was to contact him if the pain did not improve and go away . hope this has helped.and be sure to call a doctor if it does not subside.wishing you well.
thanks. I think I just wasn't prepared for the whole thing very well. I had no idea that the actually deadening process would be that painful or that I would have such discomfort afterwards. But it is getting better each day. I can lay on my back now and still manage to breathe! Another ?..they told me Thursday that they would have the results Monday. Its now Tuesday and now they are telling me that they're doing special stains and it will be Wednesday before I know. Is that normal to take almost a week?
mine was taken during my colon surgery and i did not get the results back until after i came home which was little over a week so i would say it is normal .but some times they have a way of taking for ever on the return of biopsy results and you just have to sometimes get a little bold with them ,but sense they have told you they are doing some stain test i would give them a couple of days then call them back.good luck
I had a liver biopsy done 9/28. (Had liver transplant 4/1/01) The numbing shot was extremely painful. The biopsy was not painful, but uncomfortable, and I was OK with a few aches after several days.
On Oct12th, I had my 2nd biospy and that one was painful. I had difficulty breathing and really bad pain in my right shoulder area. Today I am still feeling some discomfort but now mostly in my liver area. The 1st biospy was virtually painless so I was taken aback this time when I felt pain afterwards. My doc here (in Canada) said I should get my results in about 10 days.
A related discussion, pain with liver biospy was started.