Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Liver Biopsy
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Liver Biopsy

Hi,
  I am a 29 yr old female (non-smoker, non-drinker and not overweight), with a few questions about elevated liver enzymes and the need for a liver biopsy.  Here is some background on the tests I've had to date:
  Liver Enzymes
       ALP 188
       ALT 112
       AST 67
       GGT 290
  Cholesterol, sugar and bilirubin - normal
  Hepatitis B,C - negative
  Ultrasound of liver, pancreas and kidneys - normal
  Currently awaiting results of bloodwork for more uncommon causes of liver disease, i.e., Wilsons, PBC, etc. and 24 hour urine-copper collection done.
  Medication:  Heavy use of Tylenol #3 for 2 weeks (2 pills every 4 hours for pain from a surgery), antiviral drug Valtrex for one week and birth control pills.
  Note:  Liver enzymes were checked 10-14 days after Tylenol and Valtrex were stopped.
  Questions:  (1)  If all of my bloodwork and ultrasound have come back normal (except for the elevated enzymes), is a liver biopsy really necessary?
  (2) If a biopsy is necessary, what would one be checking for at this point?
  (3) Can a fatty liver be missed on an ultrasound?
  (4)  Can excessive weight loss cause elevated enzymes?  (I've just lost 60lbs over the past 6 months of pregnancy weight)
  Any insight would be most appreciated!