Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Liver Enzymes, right side abdominal pain

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

My boyfriend has been having severe pain in his abdomen on the right side where his gall bladder was taken out(4 years ago) the pain is constant and he compares it to a severe, constant runners cramp, this has been going on for 4 months, any suggestions as to what could be causeing this

Part II

He also has swelling in the back of his right eye, we've done all sorts of tests, ruled out brain tumors and now are working our way down the line, we have to see a neurologist next week and he had blood work done this week, a LIVER ENZYME test came back abnormal, and he has to have further testing, what could some possible outcomes of this be and what could cause this, and, how is this related, if at all, to the swelling in the back of his eye??????
I can tell you're really worried and know from experience what it's like to wait for test results. My husband had severe mono last year at the age of 37 (it's serious when you're not a kid anymore) and his liver numbers were rising fast, we had to go to the doctor every other day for blood tests. He was yellow and very sick. Finally they did a liver ultrasound that showed a swollen liver and incidentally saw a polyp in his gallbladder. I think the gallbladder and liver are in the same area. The worst thing to do to yourself is "what if". It could be alot of things...the swelling in his eye could be an optic neuritis but that's not related to the liver that I know of. Try to just wait for the doctor appointment and not go over in your head what it could be because that will make you feel worse. Best wishes and let us know how it turns out.
hi dori73 i understand how you both feel. please read the message i sent to "excessive bloating". make sure you do get the results of the liver profile, thats very important. also do some reading on elvated liver functions before you go back to the dr and ask questions and look at your labs reports if you are concerned.              keep in touch
My liver enzymes are also elevated.  About 6 weeks ago I started getting pain a little above the navel area but to the right and also on the right near the ribs.  I had an ultrasound of the abdomen.  The said it looks like I may have a fatty liver and I had a slight thickening of the gall bladder wall.  The Dr. didn't seem to concerned about the fatty liver and said to stay off the alcohol which I didn't drink a lot of anyway.  He then scheduled me for a gallblader (gallbladder) scan which is this Tuesday (five weeks to get this test, I'm glad it wasn't too serious).  I'm still getting the pains and also a little bit of gurling and cramps in my abdomen.  Does anyone know about or have these symptoms.  Does anyone know where or what liver pain symptoms are like?  Does this sound like gall bladder trouble?  I am really concerned that this pain is coming from my liver. I forgot to mention that I'm also scheduled for a colonscopy. A gastroenterologist scheduled this.  He didn't seem to concerned about my liver either.  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Steve
The pain is probably gallstones blocking his liver.  I had my gallbladder removed 2 years ago but what they don't tell you is that gallstones can be created in the liver.  I still had problems after the sugery.  I looked up liver cleanse on the web and was surprised to find that gallbladder sugery does not mean you will be health again.  In fact I think that sugery should be only done if the gallbladder is infected.  I had one small stone, now I have no gallbladder and still have health issues.  I started doing the liver cleanse using Dr. Clarke's method with Epsom salts, grapefruit juice and olive oil.  I have flushed over 2000 stones from my liver and do not have the pain (cramp feeling) in my right side anymore.  I did about 10 flushes 2 weeks apart.  Some flushes flushed out 50 stones and some flushed out 800 stones.  The stones I flushed come in threee sizes, pea, pushpin tack and and marble size.  I feel a whole lot better and now will be doing them every 6 months to maintain a clean liver.  You can check out the Yahoo website for liver cleanse info and ideas.  Type in "liver cleanse testimonials" and "yahoo" and you will see the site.  Also the liver cleanse info can be found on the web for free and cost you $5.00 per cleanse (maybe)and you get all the ingredients from the grocery store.  I wish I had seen this info before I had my gallbladder removed.  So much for the Doctor Credo of "do no harm".  Try it once and see, check with your doctor to make sure it won't hurt you if you feel the need.  It took me 3 months after I found the recipe to actually use it but I am glad I did.  The website may tell you to do a parasite cleanse as well but I did it without the parasite cleanse and it worked great.
oh and as for his eye it may be due to the liver being blocked up.  The liver removes toxins from the body and if it is not working these toxins can cause all kinds problems.  My gallstone gave me cystic acne on my back. If you cleanse out the liver, his problem may get better, but would still keep searching with doctor for other possible cause.
My wife's problem is shortly after eating or drinking anything, including water, she has extreme burning in her stomach, not cramping!  Have you experienced a burning sensation as well?