Liver Question
I went for blood work a few months ago and my liver panel showed an elevated ALT (100) and AST (94) and ALK was slightly elevated but not sure of value.  I had been drinking somewhat heavily for a few weeks before this test.  My cholesterol also tested high at 270.  Per the Dr's request, I abstained from alcohol for 1 month, started a low-fat diet, and began excersising much more regularly.  I went back for follow-up bloodwork and was told that enzymes had began to normalize and the only one that was still slighlty elevated was ALT (82).  Normal range from the lab was 5-60.

Here's my dilemma.  Could alcohol have been the cause for these abnormalities?  If so, does this mean I can never consume alcohol again? My Dr would like to re-test in 6 months.  Should I be content with this?  Should I seek a second opinion?

Since I found out about the elevated enzymes, I seem to be feeling discomformt (not really pain) in the RUQ and sometimes around to the center of the back.  It seems to be after I eat meals, especially anything that contains fat.  Could this be a gallbladder/gallstone problem?  I now fear that I have liver cancer due to the hypochondriac in me.  

I'm a 25 yo male, in realtively good shape but maybe 10-20 lbs over desired weight.  I work out a lot and I'm 6'2" 225lbs.  I have no other symptoms such as jaundice, ascites, or pain.  I guess my real underlying question here is how concerned should I be at this point?
Alcohol is certainly a possibility.  Especially if the liver enzymes decreased after abstaining from alcohol.  Other possibilities can include hepatitis, any medications, or fatty liver.  If the alcohol is indeed the cause, you may want to consider limiting your consumption.

Retesting after 3-6 months is certainly reasonable to see if the liver enzyme tests remain stable.  It is also reasonable to test for hepatitis (via a blood test), and obtaining an abdominal ultrasound to look for fatty liver and other anatomical causes why the liver function tests can be elevated.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
One more thing, I tested negative on all HEP screens.
I have never drink and my liver enzems was 331
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Who are the top-rated Gastroenterologist in your area?