Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Liver Surgery

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Liver Surgery

Doctor wants me to have open surgery for a large cyst on my liver. It is a multi-loculated cyst in the left lobe and does not extend outside the liver. Has anyone had this type surgery ? He says I'll be hospitalized about a week and recovery time is 6-8 weeks - major surgery. Are there any options to this situation ?
During a CT scan they detected masses (one large and 2 small lesions) on my liver as well sounds somewhat like what you mentioned but they did not refer to it as a cyst.  After that had several other tests run (MRI, Hidas Scan) and a biopsy to see if the mass was cancerous.  Luckily it was not.  But have been feeling very tired and sick (dizzy, nauseous) but not all the time it comes and goes.  Went to see 2 surgeons one says needs to come out the other says we can monitor it. Neither really said if what I'm feeling is related to it.  One of the reports called it a hepatic adenoma and said that it could be caused by long term birth control use.  The only thing I can say is I wouldn't let them do surgery unless they are sure.  I'm taking that advice as well and still haven't received any treatment as of yet.  Pushing them to tell me more or to see a better Dr. who knows more. Good luck.
Hey Siggy, I just read about your liver tumor ordeal and am very curious to know how its working out for you. I also have a small hepatic adenoma and am due to have it surgically removed later this month. I've never had surgery and am quite anxious. All my docs say its got to come out if pregnancy is in my future (it is) due to potential rupture and cancer. Also, if anyone has undergone liver resection I'd love any and all details. Many thanks, and best of luck siggy.

Sorry to get back so late but have been busy and neglected this site.

I had the cyst removed on Feb. 8th by laprascoptic surgery. Was released to go home the next day. Fortunately the cyst was benign.

My Dr. told me I was the first person in Missouri to have this procedure and one of only a handful in the world.

They actually took the cyst out through a small incision. They did not drain the cyst and elected to cut about a quarter of an inch of good liver along with the cyst. They took it out in a plastic bag they had inserted into my stomach. Took about 10% of the liver, which supposedly regenerates in about 6-8 weeks.

Please advise if you want more info.

Siggy