Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Liver damage
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Liver damage

I was in a very bad car accident 8 months ago and suffered a grade 5 liver laceration. After leaving the hospital, it caused me no problems, and I obstained from alcohol/tylenol for about 4 months. Since, I have been drinking sometimes in moderation and sometimes binging. Earlier this year, I developed ulcer-like symptoms and after a series of tests, my liver enzymes came back elevated, suggesting that it is damage due to drinking. At this time, I had taken tylenol and had a 104 degree fever, so I am not entirely sure the cause of the elevated enzymes. Basically, I am asking 1) if the car accident has caused my liver to be particularly sensitive, although I have read of the liver's regenerative qualities, should obstain from drinking and tylenol for the rest of my life? 2) Also, if I obstain, will the damage that has already been caused from college drinking behaviors be reversed? Finally, this week I had a single experience of blood in my urine or stool (I couldn't tell, it was clot-like and has not reappeared). 3) Does this have a relationship with drinking and damaged liver?