Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Liver enzyme test

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Liver enzyme test

I had a liver enzyme test (AST) (SGOT)  which was 48 & the high supose to be no higher than 40.  Is there a danger at that #?  I had previously been on Lipitor for my Cholestrol.  I do have an occasional drink.  & I have been having alot of symptons which I read in a previous question, by Judith July 14 1998.  asthma, cramping, ect.  Alos are there steps to lower the rate?

Katkng
Lipitor can raise liver enzymes.
Alcohol raises liver enzymes.
I would like to know what the normal number for a Liver enzyme test is, & what is a danger zone
Different labs have different reference ranges for "normal".

Here's some examples of what different websites have to say about AST (SGOT):

*******************************************************
http://www.hepatitis.org.uk/s-crina/tests-lft.htm

AST - Aspartate aminotransferase:
This enzyme used to be called Serum Glutamic-Oxaloaceti Transaminase (SGOT).
The normal range is 5-40 IU/L. Some doctors think that anything under 50 is still OK.

http://carbonbased.com/cbcblood.htm#LiverEnzymes

SGOT (Serum Glutamic-Oxalocetic Transaminase - AST):
Serum Glutamic Oxalocetic Transaminase or AST is an enzyme found primarily in the liver, heart, kidney, pancreas, and muscles.
Seen in tissue damage, especially heart and liver, this enzyme is normally elevated.
Vitamin B deficiency and pregnancy are two instances where the enzyme may be decreased.
Normal Adult Range: 0 - 42 U/L
Optimal Adult Reading: 21

http://janis7hepc.com/Labs.htm

AST/SGOT (Aspartate Aminotransferase)
NORMAL RANGE: 5 - 35 U/L
This is an enzyme made in liver cells, similar to the ALT. It is also made in muscles, and can be released from damaged muscle, heart, kidney, and brain tissue. Therefore, the AST level can be affected by many conditions other than liver disease.

http://medicine.creighton.edu/medschool/case-pres/global/labguide.html

Aspartate Aminotransferase (AST, SGOT)
This enzyme is found in several organs, especially in heart, skeletal muscle, and liver. As in the heart, damage to hepatocytes releases AST.
In acute hepatitis, the AST usually is elevated according to the severity and extent of hepatocyte damage at the particular time the specimen is drawn. Values are often over 10 x normal.
In extrahepatic obstruction, there is little or no elevation unless secondary parenchymal damage is present.
In cirrhosis, the AST may or may not be abnormal depending on the degree of hepatic decompensation and/or cell necrosis taking place. Elevation of AST is generally mild to moderate in these cases.
In passive congestion of the liver, there may be variable degrees of AST elevation, especially if the episode is severe and acute.
Again, however, due to its presence in heart and muscle, elevated AST is relatively nonspecific.

http://cpmcnet.columbia.edu/dept/gi/labtests.html

Aspartate aminotransferase (AST):
AST is an enzyme similar to ALT, but less specific for liver disease as it is also produced in muscle and can be elevated in other conditions (for example, early in the course of a heart attack). AST is also inaccurately referred to as a liver function test by many physicians. In many cases of liver inflammation, the ALT and AST activities are elevated roughly in a 1:1 ratio. In some conditions, such as alcoholic hepatitis or shock liver, the elevation in the serum AST level may higher than the elevation in the serum ALT level.

Hope this helps.
Imkindly: Thanks for all the info. I recently had ALT 62 and AST 45 but all my other liver tests were normal. A friend told me eating meat can raise liver enzymes so I stayed off meat (I don't drink alcohol) for 10 days and got retested. My ALT was 18 and my AST was 18. My Alkaline Phos. was always within the normal range as well as Amalayse and Lipase. Hepatitis panel was negative.

What do you think about this? Thanks for your comments.
My liver enzymes are elevated: AST=55 (range 1-45) and ALT=62 (range 1-55). I recently completed my Hepatitis B vacine (3 series shot ending in 6/01). Could this be responsible for the elevation? If no, does this look like it might be hepatitis?. I have't drank alcohol or cafene in 15 years, but I was on estrogen and took vioxx for 9 months. Could this elevate?