Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Liver enzymes

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Liver enzymes

For about a year now I have had upper and middle abdominal pain. This pain is accompanied with gas, bloating, and sometimes nausea.These symptoms are descriptive of hear problems. I have seen my cardiologist because, since my problem started I have been on Lipitor to lower my cholesterol. I have also had a sonagramand and (hiedascan??) to check out my gall bladder. These test were all normal. Also an esophageal endoscopy showed no abnormalities. However, my blood work did show elevated liver enzymes about three times the norm.My question is, can elevated liver enzymes cause these or other symptoms.
Hello

I posted this note looking for people of different ethinic background, because I need to do a culture assesstment involving asking of particular questions. This is for a class that I take at my college. If you are of Latino, Hispanic, Asian or non-american  background I would like you to help me out. Please write to ***@****.  All material is private and kept that way. You do not need to tell me your name or address in the interview. Thanks darci
I had very similar symptoms two years ago.  I was diagnosed with "GERD" and was given Ranitidine (Zantac).  I was examined and blood work was done.  I had elevated liver enzymes.  I was told to repeat the tests in two months but did not.  About nine months went by and my symptoms changed.  I had a physical one year ago and got the results of my blood work which, again, showed elevated liver enzymes.  I was told to repeat the tests again in two months.  This time I did.  Same results.  I was scheduled for a liver biopsy (needle) and the results showed that I had "fatty liver".  You can do some research on the subject better than I can explain it here.  I was told to start taking vitamin E.  Well, I didn't stick to that very well.  I have since put on some weight and my symptoms are worse than ever.  I have had what I can only describe as gall bladder attacks which are extremely painful.  I have also had what I think is IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) which no doctor will do anything about.
I need to lose about thirty pounds and, if I do, I think most of my discomfort will go away.  I hope I've been of some help to you.  I know how scary it is when you know something is wrong inside but can't figure it out and a doctor may treat you like you're a wimp for complaining about a "tummy ache".  Good luck to you and take care.
The elevated liver enzymes are also a symptom rather than a cause.  They indicate possible liver damage, but can be a sign of other things, too.  I would keep looking into it...Lipitor is known to have some risk of liver damage, so be sure to ask your doctor about that.  That may be what is happening.  Maybe you need to come off of that medication...is there an alternative?  It probably isn't an emergency situation, but I would not leave it alone for too long.  ASK THE DOC!

Rebecca
Dear Friends,
Elevated liver enzymes are nothing to fool around with--work closely with your doctor to figure out what the cause is & get them back to normal.  I had elevated liver enzymes when I was taking Biaxin (an antibiotic) for a respiratory infection.  We took me off of it, switched me to another antibiotic & re-checked my liver enzyme levels for the next two months.  They have fortunately returned to normal & the infection cleared up.
Best of luck in getting everything cleared up!
Aloha,
Starion
Would like to know what the normal count is for liver enzymes.
My mother inlaw was just in the hospital with high liver enzymes, and low blood pressure. The doctor's said the low blood blood pressure could have caused her liver enzymes to raise, but we don't know what caused her blood pressure to go so low.
The ended by saying it was a viral infection, but the gastrologist did say she had some scaring on her liver(?).
To Jetcam.....You can control IBS with your diet, unless there may be another problem, such as polyps, etc.
I have to go back for a colonostopy next month. My diet was controlling the problem, but now seems everything I eat irritates it, and stress will certainly irritate it.
If you haven't seen a gastrologist, I suggest you do so and get a colonostopy ran.
Swit
Normal levels for liver enzymes depends on the lab where the test is performed.  They all are a bit different and you would need to find out the normal range for that particular lab...it depends on exactly how the test is performed.  Ask the doc for a copy of the blood report...it should have the normal ranges on it.   Rebecca