Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Liver exploded after binge drinking

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Liver exploded after binge drinking

I'm a 46 year old male.  Eight years ago the upper part of my liver exploded after a night of binge drinking.  It felt like I was going to die.  Over the next 3 months I lost about thirty pounds even though I was eating plenty ( I'm 5' 10" and weigh 125).  It's impossible for me to gain weight, I have severe chemical sensitivity to the point that it's completely disabling me, poor circulation, I'm constantly cold, and I feel like every part of my body is disintegrating.  I have Gilbert's Syndrome otherwise my liver tests are normal.  I've had an ultrasound and CT scan of my liver and they can't find anything wrong with me.  I have trouble exercising because it seems as though the blood can't circulate fast enough through my body to keep up with any strenuous activity.  I've noticed that upper body exercise does temporarily help with the chemical sensitivity.  I think when the blood flow through the liver increases, it can detox the chemicals better.  Any ideas?  Thanks.
It sounds like you have some discomfort in the right upper abdomen, which you attribute to your liver.  Ultrasound and CT are helpful but there is another test called a HIDA scan that can better look at another organ in the same area, the gall bladder.  I'd go ask your doctor to consider looking into the health of your gallbladder with this test, and consider other reasons for your discomfort.
Thanks for your reply.  I've asked several times to multiple doctors for a HIDA scan, but they all refuse because my liver function tests are normal.  Is there a way to persuade them to do this test.  I've also asked for a cholangiogram, but was denied.  Thanks.
I forgot to mention that I do get pain in my liver and sometimes spleen when i eat foods high in fat.
Well after 6 years of begging I am finally getting one on Monday.  I'll post the results.
The test was normal.  The last half of the test when I was given medicine to make the gallbladder contract did seem to exacerbate my condition a little.  Oh well, I don't know what to do next.  I notice if I drink any alcohol it makes my liver feel like it wants to explode again.  Should I drink and make it explode again so they can figure out what's happening?
I know it's not good to abuse alcohol.  I wasn't trying to say that I should do that.  It would only take about 4 drinks to make my liver explode.  I can barely drink one without discomfort.  After 2 it feels like it's about ready to explode.  So 4 should do it.  Maybe this will reveal my problem.