Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Liver nodule
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Liver nodule

I had abdominal ultrasound in May 2008 result was two gallbaldder polyps - Largest 5.6mm.  The remaing viscera were unremarkable.

Follow-up ultrasound on Nov 26, 2008  and report read:

"Hypoechoic lesion in the left lobe, probably segment 4b. measuring 12x10x8mm.  The liver measures 17cm in size.

Threre are a few gallbladder polyps seen the largest 4mm in size.

The spleen measures 12.6cm.  

Opinion:  questionalbe hyperechoic area in left lobe of liver.  This is a solid nodule.  Being solitary it could represent a hemangioma but the apperance is atypical.  Follow up ultrasound in three months to confirm stability."

note that five days prior to Nov 26  (nov 19, 2008) I had another ultrasound of the abdomen and no concern was noted with the visulaised portions of liver, kidney and spleen.

Questions:

1.  What does liver size of 17cm mean - small/big/normal

2. what does spleen size of 12.6cm mean - small/big/normal

3 Are liver nodules common incidental findings?

4.  Is a three month wait and follow-up ultrasound normal procedure?

5.  If not what other diagnostics would be recommended?

6.  Why would this nodule not have been visaulied on Nov 19th ultrasound?

7.  What could this nodule most likely be??????

8. Are the gallbladder polyps of concern????  i.e what are they????

thanks