Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Liver

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Liver

What causes fatty infilrations from the liver? How to correct this? Is this dangerous?

I have always been a healthy male. I'm 38 and I work out and excersise and try to eat well. Last month in December I had a blood test and it was fine like always. In January I started taking these pills that make you hair stronger and when I went to the doctor to get a blood test my SGOT was(30)and my SGPT was (74). Then I had another test to make sure a week later and my SGOT was still(30) and my SGPT(54). The doctor thought maybe do one more to see if the lab was not doing something wrong. Now my results are SGOT (57) and my SGPT (74). This is so wierd. I stopped taking all over the counter stuff that includes vitamines, and everything. I'm witting 6 weeks to retest. I'm worried that I could have done some sort of permanante damage to my liver taking these dumb pills. I would like to know if the liver goes back to normal once you stop all meds.
yes it does if the pills are the cause.
If your "fatty" liver is not caused by alcohol or some other underlying problem, then it's of no concern. It is usually seen in diabetic and obese patients. If it's caused by alcoholism it can lead to cirrosis (cirrhosis). You can find lots of info by typing in fatty liver on a search engine, I looked it up for my mom when she was told she had that. Hers was found incidentally during exploratory surgery. Told it was benign and not to worry. Of course for the next 5 years she complained of a full feeling in her abdomen! Before that she had no "liver" symptoms.
new dx. of fatty liver!  has anyone had this problem?> I do not drink-diabetic-or hepatitis however I have been on statins for 9 yrs. How is the future out look for this condition? what is the treatment for this now.  Please give any info you have on this condition..Thanks so much deano1.