Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Loose Stools

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Loose Stools

For the past 5 weeks, I
There can be several causes for the symptoms.  Inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel disease, pancreatitis, an infectious colitis, or malabsorption are a few of the causes that can lead to loose stools.

At this time, you can consider stool studies to evaluate for both infection and malabsorption, a colonoscopy looking for inflammation, as well as blood tests or a CT scan to evaluate the pancreas.

These options should be discussed with your personal physician or gastroenterologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
I had a soft stool for 4 years and no matter what I ate or what vitamins I took nothing helped. I had seen numerous doctors including gastrologists and nutritionists. I had all kinds of tests and tried different diets and supplements and nothing worked. I am 52 years old and in good health other than this problem.  Two months ago on 20 20 I saw a story about Protandim, a supplement that is suppose to protect your cells against damage. Well I don't usually order these thing but I was feeling kind of run down and decided to give it a try. After 5 days of taking this supplement my stool is back to it's normal density and has been normal for 2 months now. I hope this helps someone.

Mike
I had a colectomy September 2004 (a third of my colon removed) because of a growth in my cecum. It turned out I didn't have cancer but it was TB of the colon. Eversince I had the surgery, I had diarrhea (literally it's like water coming out of me), eating would immediately send me running to the bathroom.

I have recently seen a gastro-enterologist and he wanted me to try this medication which he prescribes to other patients and seem to work for them. What I was prescribed was named pms-CHOLESTYRAMINE, which is in powder form and has to be mixed with water or juice, or a highly fluid juice such as soup, pudding, which I drink twice in a day before meals.

I'm into the second week of taking this and I observed it to be working for me. The urgency to go to the bathroom was minimized. My stool has become semi-formed. Although, I still have the problem of bloating, gas, and constant stomach discomfort, I was sort of relieved that my diarrhea ceased. I still go to the bathroom several times a day (maybe 3-4) but like I mentioned it is no longer runny.

Investigate and ask your own doctor if this would be appropriate for yourself. I just wanted to share this info because I know the pain and discomfort as I am going through it as well.