Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Loose/string stool and stomach gurgling

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Loose/string stool and stomach gurgling

I have been experiencing stomach gurgling, diarrhea on and off...Once a week or once every other week. My bowel movements have increased from once a day at times to two. My stool is soft most times and stringy (pencil like at times). Sometimes when I get done with a bowel movement I still feel like I am not done and it may take 3 consecutive visits to get done...These symptoms could disappear for a couple of weeks and then reappear. I have had several tests done both upper GI and an endoscopy. I was even tested for H. Pylori, which came back positive and I completed the PREVPAK dosage although my GI Dr. later told me the primary care shouldn't have treated me for H. Pylori as it is common and doesnt present any danger if there are no ulcers or somn of that nature...5 months later I am still going through the similar symptoms. Although not as bad as they were in the past. Is there any chance that the gurgling which occurs mainly in the morning and late nights could be related to worms? I have read that not too many doctors and labs are familiar with worms. Could they all have overlooked this? Have you dealt with anything similar in the past? Are there any suggestions so I may present them to both my primary care and GI at the next visit. One doctor even thought it was in my head and my mind could be messing with me. I know my body and I know that stool should be bulky and not stringy. That is not a mind thing. I appreciate your input. Thanks.
You have had a pretty comprehensive evaluation of the upper digestive tract - by the way, I agree with the treatment for H Pylori.  

Further testing of the upper GI symptoms can be considered.  This can include an ultrasound to evaluate the liver and gallbladder, as well as a 24-hr pH study to definitively rule out GERD.  

Regarding the change in bowel shape and movements, I would consider a colonoscopy.  Anatomical abnormalities and colonic masses must be ruled out.  

These options can be discussed with your personal physician, or in conjunction with you GI physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
1 Comment
I meant upper GI and colonoscopy. Sorry about that!