Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Loss of Taste?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Loss of Taste?

I have been recently diagnosed with acid reflux and gastritis. I have had an endoscopy and everything seems to be healing as far as the acid reflux. I have had a ultrasound of my gallbladder and all seems normal as does all of my regular checkup bloodwork. However, I still feel nauseous after eating an evening meal and for several weeks I have been experiencing a loss of taste and sometimes a metallic like taste (like blood). Has anyone ever heard of gastritis causing this? I am currently taking Nexium and a diuretic for mildly high blood pressure...maybe one of these meds causes this as a side effect? This loss of taste is becoming a problem because I feel like I have to salt everything to get a taste and even then the taste of the food is very bitter if existent at all!  Anybody have any ideas?
I don't know anything about the gastritis but my Husband had an illness (ONE single sinus infection !)that caused him to lose some of his taste and smell a couple of years back.(We were stunned as he never had a problem before and he's in his 40's)It really is a shame.A lot of it came back but not all.He had gone to an Ear,Nose and Throat doctor.They suggested he try taking zinc tablets  and also gave him a nasal spray to try. I understand that people with allergies sometimes have that happen to them.I'm sorry that happened to you.I would suggest you try to get help with it =the sooner the better as far as possibly seeing the E,N,T about it.
Good luck.
Thanks for the info...I do have allergies but I have never had a sinus infection, however, I guess it would be best to see an ENT.  Thanks,Lorylou
You're asking the wrong board...  you want an ears/nose/throat specialist for this one.