Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Low Hemoglobin and Hematocrit
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Low Hemoglobin and Hematocrit

Dear Doctor:

I'm a 43 yr old caucasian male who went in for a routine physicial.  Results of CBC came back with Hgb of 13.8 and Hct of 41.1%, which were flagged as low. RBC was 4.67, MCV was 88.0 and MCH was 29.5.  WBC was 8.2 and Plt was 298.0

Based on a strong family history of breast cancer, my family physician has me scheduled for a colonoscopy on 10/17, which I am fine with.  Height is 5'10" Weight is 190 lbs.  I have not presented with any weight loss or other noticeable GI symptoms.  Any additional insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

SCdruggie
Related Discussions
233190_tn?1278553401
I agree with the colonoscopy.  Any type of anemia needs to be evaluated for a potential GI loss - including colon cancer.  

If negative, you can look at the peripheral blood smear to evaluate for other causes of anemia.  Checking iron and B12 levels can also be considered, as deficiencies here can lead to the findings as well.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
2 Comments
Blank
It was a good call by my Internist to do the colonoscopy.  I had it done this morning, and a 1 cm polyp was found in the sigmoid colon!  Did not look to be any spread into the colon, and will receive the pathology report within a week.

Once I am fully recovered, what it be acceptable to do iron supplementation to get my blood levels back in the normal range?  Also, would 81 mg of aspirin/day be prudent for possible colon polyp/cancer prevention?

Thanks!
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now