Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Low Hemoglobin

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Low Hemoglobin

About a year ago, my blood work came back and I was low in Hemoglobin and Hematocrit. My doctor did a fecal smear and of the 3 smears, all came back with blood in them. My Gastro did a Colonoscopy, but said she found no polyops, no hemerroids, no anything!  That was it...she didn't say anything else. Neither did my GP. So, I was left wondering why I had 3 positive results, but nothing showed up. But, trusting the docs, I didn't pursue it. Now I have the tingling in my left arm more frequently then before (daily almost) and I just started taking B12 from the IHerb site and iron too. I believe it's the Methyl-B12 5000mcg. I have been on Prevacid for about 6-7 yrs also. I guess my question is, even though the Colonoscopy found nothing, could the blood in the stool possibly be caused from a lack of B12? Thanks, lemaygirl.
1 Comment
possibly you your bleeding is from your GI system, e.g. gastric, did you have an upper GI scope? why you took antiacid for this long period of time? for sure long term antiacid could cause B12 deficiency. Therefore I recommedn highly you have to stop taking it if there is no need, take care.
Mohammed, Japan
A related discussion, low hemoglobin in regards to petechiae was started.