Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Lower Chest Pain

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Lower Chest Pain

My husband is having severe pains in his lower left chest area.  He says that it feels as if his lung is pressing on his rib.  It began yesterday as intermittent sharp pains and today he said that the pain is so terrible when he breaths & moves.  He could not answer me when I asked him a question about it because he said it hurt too much to talk.  He is laying on the sofa and will not go to the doctor.    He doesn't believe it is related to anything he ate and he did not injure himself at work.   Could you please give me some idea of what it might be thats causing him so much pain and what I can do for him?
If he is having severe chest pain, I would suggest a visit to the emergency room.  

Cardiac causes should be ruled out first - as this is the most life threatening.  An EKG as well as cardiac enzymes can be drawn to evaluate any heart damage.  If it has been determined that he is not having a heart attack, a stress test can be scheduled to see if there are any blockages in the arteries.

If cardiac causes have been ruled out, GI causes can include dyspepsia (i.e. ulcers, GERD, inflammation of the upper digestive tract), as well as gall bladder disease.  An upper GI series, upper endoscopy or abdominal ultrasound can all be considered for further evaluation.

Pulmonary causes can also be considered - since it occurs when breathing.  Serious causes can include a pulmonary embolus - i.e. a blood clot in the lung.  This should also be considered and ruled out.

All of these considerations should be discussed with your personal physician.  Again, if there is continuing chest pain, an ER visit may be necessary.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
If he is having so much chest area pain that he can't answer you when you ask him a question I would take him to the E.R. If he refuses to go I would call an ambulance and let them deal with him when they arrive.....Just my personal opinion but it's what I would do...Tessa
Yes, I agree with you. However, he went to bed and insisted that I not call 911.  He said that if it did not get better by morning that he would then go to the hospital.
He may have a collapsed lung - you should definitely get him to a hospital.
it also could be a pulmonary embolism or pneumonia...especially if it hurts to breathe......
Thanks to all of you for your replies.  He went to Urgent Care this morning because the pain was much worse.  They are doing tests on him now.
Well, the doctor said that he didn't find anything abnormal with his x-rays and all the tests indicate that he is as healthy as a horse.  He feels that it is probably a pulled muscle. He prescribed IB Profin(sp?) and said that if it did not improve within the next few days that he should return.  Since the pain has already been going on for 3 days now, I'm a bit concerned.  If the IB Profin doesn't make a difference and he is still feeling pain tomorrow morning I will insist on him going to ER at our local hospital.