Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Lower esophagus scar tissue/difficulty swallowing - laser therapy?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Good afternoon,

My great uncle (he's 70) recently had a malignant tumor removed from his lower esophagus/upper stomach. (succesfully)

Unfortunately, he keeps getting scar tissue at the surgery site which blocks his ability to swallow, and he has to keep returning to the Dr. for it to be removed (or dialated).  Each time this happen though, it makes him physically weaker.

He recently heard about a laser therapy that removes the scar tissue in such a way, that it slows/stops the regrowth.  I have been scouring the net, but so far, am not finding it...although, I may not be looking in the right places or using the right words.

Does anyone have experience with this procedure, or have you heard of it..?  (What is it called?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  It's quite frightening for him not to be able to swallow, and he refuses to eat in front of anyone anymore...

Thank you for your time...

Lora
A related discussion, laser for small bowel scar in crohn's pt was started.