Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Lower left side (flank) back pain every 5-7 days
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Lower left side (flank) back pain every 5-7 days

I am a 22-year-old male, 6'2", 128 pounds. In June of 2001, I started experiencing pain in my lower left back (off to the left side). The pain is best described as very similar to a stomach ache (cramping, dull yet intense pain unwavering in intensity). Each pain episode lasts 12-18 hours.  The pain disappears at hour 12-18 if I lie on my side with my knees bent, such that my left hip bears the weight.  If so, I experience a gurgling noise (which sounds like stomach rumbling), except the sound originates from the lower left back/side, along with a spasmic/pulsating sensation. 15 seconds and the pain is completely gone, with no remaining symptoms. The pain occurs every 5-7 days, but has not been continuous since 2001. I experienced the pain every 5-7 days in June 2001, May-June 2002, March-July 2004, and July 2005-present. Within these periods, I haven
Related Discussions
233190_tn?1278553401
GI causes for pain in the left side can include various causes of dyspepsia (i.e. ulcer, inflammation of the upper digestive tract, GERD), pancreas disorders, or irritable bowel syndrome.  If the pain is lower down on the left side, diverticulitis can be considered.  

The CT showed an enlarged left kidney - but would also evaluate for kidney stones (which can also cause the pain).

You can consider further evaluation with an upper endoscopy to evaluate the upper digestive tract, or a CT scan of the abdomen to evaluate the pancreas.  Blood tests looking at the pancreatic enzymes can also be considered.

If there is a foul taste in the mouth, GERD can be considered.  If the upper endoscopy is non-revealing, you can consider a 24-hr pH study to definitively rule in or out GERD.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
0 Comments
Blank
A related discussion, left side and back pain was started.
Blank
A related discussion, Ongoing Back Left Side Pain was started.
Blank
A related discussion, lower left back and side pain/discomfort was started.
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703