Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Lower right quadrant discomfort

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Lower right quadrant discomfort

I am a 55-year-old male, 5' 11" and 200 lb. Symptoms started about 5 years ago. The main symptoms are burning and a dull ache in the lower right quadrant of my abdomen. The tests done include a CT scan, upper GI, Brarium enema - all negative. Blood tests are normal. The symptoms are becoming worse and now include some nausea. Sitting and lying down increase the discomfort, while standing decreases them. Food seems to worsen the symptoms, but no particular food makes them worse than anoter. At night, lying on the left side relieves the symptoms as does massage. There is no blood in stools. What could the be? Could appendicitis cause these symptoms for such a long time? Cound it be a hernia? What about cancer?
Tags: Pain
Dear Wayne,
It is impossible to answer your question regardung the cause for your abdominal painbut Ican describe the other conditions that you mention.

Appendicitis usually causes pain in the left lower quadrant.  Although there are surgeons who believe in the condition of chronic appendicits, I am unaware of anyoe who thinks that 5 years of pain could be related to an appendiceal problem.

Colon cancer can cause right lower quadrant discomfort.  The barium enema should exclude colon conditions, assuming a good preparation and a careful examination.  Because the catheter used to infuse the barium can obscure the rectum, it is our custom to also perform flexible sigmoidoscopy to complete the workup to exclude colonic pathology.  Again, it would be unlikely to have colon cancer for 5 years without other symptoms.

Although an inguinal hernia could cause right lower quadrant pain that lasts for years, the pain is usually worse when standing and better when lying.

Finally, one must also consider irritable bowel disease when there is chronic pain without a definitive etiology.
I have Hepatitis C and I have your symptoms also
I am inclined to ask if this pain in the lower right quadrant is primarily more towards the front or the rear. I have the exact same symptoms and I am presently undiagnosed. However my pain and discomfort is more towards the back near my kidneys.
It Started over a year and a half ago. My left arm started going numb along with my chest. I thought it was a heart attack. I had it checked nothing wrong with my heart. After a few months it started back again . Iv'e had xrays of my chest nothing blood test nothing. Ifeel tired now ,chest pains along with pains in between my shoulder blades along with sharp pains along the right and left side of my stomach they come and go. also had a MRI showed nothing . Iam 41 and have drank for 20 years avg 3 drinks per day. When I work not bad but on the way home I think I AM HAVING A HEART ATTACK It happends every day now along with the stomach pains.
I have suffered from the exact same thing for about a year. Have had Ct scan(normal),abdominal ultrasound(normal),colonoscopy.Had polyps removed from colon.Still have the same persistent pain with no relief.Pain radiates to hip area.Had mri on hip(normal)Nothing seems to help. If you find any answers,please email me at ***@****
Jeri
The pain that I have is generally on the right side and seems to radiate out towards my lower back and is also present in the area of my right kidney. An ultrasound of my kidneys showed up normal. I have not had any other symptoms until the other day when I noticed trace amounts of blood in my stool. At times this pain is pretty intense, and yet the doctor can not seem to pinpoint a problem.
I have no idea if this is in any way connected but I have also been experiencing pain in my legs, mostly the left one (leading me to believe these are isolated symptoms) in the thigh area.
If anyone recofnizes what this may potentially be, please post!
I have symptoms like many of you. I have pain in my right side, burning in my abdomen,tightness when I lay down, hard to breath, throbbing in my right side, and much more.  i have a Hemangioma on my right lobe of my Liver.  The Dr.'s say I should not have these symptoms due to a Hemangioma.  It is 6.5x4.6 in size.  I was questioned if i hurt because I knew something was there.  But no, was my reply because it took me a long time of these pains and symptoms before finding out from a abdominal ultrasound what I had.  It is continuing to grow rapidly, and another smaller lesion was just found on my left lobe of the liver.  I did not give up with Dr.'s. So if you have un-answered pain continue to seek a Dr. willing to help you. You know your body better than anyone.  If anyone has what I have please e-mail me (***@****). If you have information on ruptured Hemangioma I would like to know more. Thanks, Sandy
I too am having the same pain you describe. After I eat it feels like a lump right in the top of my ribs. I have had nausea with vomitting chunks of food. I had an upper GI and blood work done and hope to have the results next week. Mine does seem to worsen when i lie down after I eat or lay on my right side. Right now my Dr is treating it like an ulcer and I am taking prevacid. I seem to be feel a little better but am really watching what I eat. I will let you know the results of my xray and blood work. I am patiently waiting for them myself. I just want to feel better.
I'm wondering if gall bladder problems have been ruled out for many of you??  Many people in my family have described similar symptoms, with the achiness on the right side.  Recently, two of my family members had an acute attack of intense pain on the right side and they each had to have their gall bladders removed.  From what little I've been able to find out, high cholesterol, over weight, fair skin, and age forty or so seem to be ripe conditions for gall bladder problems.  It will be interesting to know if this turns out to be the case for any of you, so please keep posting.....
I have just read Dr. Melissa Palmer's new book and in it she addresses this issue. She says you can have liver problems that do not show up on a scan. I have the same symptoms. No Dr. can tell me what the problem is and it is terribly frustrating. After reading this book and looking at the rest of the symptoms I am looking for a hepatologist. Someone more able to help me.
Well I am like you all, still looking for answers. I too have the pain in my lower right side. They are going to perform a colonoscopy and and EDG on the 6th of Dec. As of yet I am being treated for IBS. Which includes the drug bentoyl, and changing my diet. More fiber they say. I have also been advised to use some sort of stress therapy. I am going to try relaxation tapes. If any of you come up with some answers to stopping the pain and the discomfort. Please let me know. I am suffering from anxiety attacks everyday now. I do believe that stress is going to show a great amount of symptoms with this problem.
Hi,this is a addition to the comments before us and the statement regarding rt lower quadrant pain...Sounds like the possibilities of biliari "sludge" I too have chronic hep c,and suffer these same symptons,agravated by any intake of any meds,foods,alcohol,one piece of advice,increase your fluid intake...keep the system clean....any questions,email is ***@**** I am Corey
My sister has the same problems. First the dr. said it was pancreatitis and gave prescription. It didn't help. Then she had the upper and lower G I series done. Now they have decided it is her gall bladder. After weeks of pain, surgery is scheduled. I hope this gets rid of her suffering for good. will keep posted and let you know..
I've been reading each report on right lower abdominal pain and was very interested that so many people suffer the same symptoms as i do.I have constant pain in my right side which seems to be getting worse. It started with a really bad flu that never went away, then i got recurrent cold sores and while all this was happening this side pain persisted, if it's related I still don't know. I had an ultrasound and bloodtests and thay were fine although the doctor said my liver was very large, and was probably just related to the virus. It's been 2 months and the pain is getting worse, i've been reading about hepatitis and all sorts of illnesses to help me identify what the problem is but i'm still not sure.Any help would be appreciated.
I also had lower right abdomen pain.  It was found to be mild inflammation of the colon.  It was diagnosed by a biopsy of my colon.  Good luck!
I have the lower right discomfort also and found that I contracted Hep C from surgery in 1992
I too have lower (very low, immediately above the lymph area) right quadrant pain that occassionally radiates up toward my right kidney (started when I was 16... I am now 30). I can point to the exact spot where the pain originates (about the size of a quarter). My right leg used to ache so badly I would be in tears. Nothing allieviated that pain! I don't get that as much now though. I must admit I had many serious flu episodes as a teen.

I also am chronically nauseated and have severe bloating whenever I eat any wheat products. I too have gone through a series of doctors that have told me: Psychsomatic, IBS, Endometriosis, Stress, Gas, Constipation, "kink in the intestines", Inflamed bowel,... Nothing was ever conclusive. Blood tests are always fine. My gall bladder is fine.

I've noticed that I get a thick white film on my tongue preceeding many of these bouts and started to suspect a chronic, reoccurring  Candida infection. Additionally, just in the last year, I'll get painful spots on my tongue where the taste buds will slough off, then regrow as soon as the white coating goes away. I noticed also that when I suppliment with Lysine the condition seems to stay away. From what I've read, this would tend to indicate a viral infection of some sort? All the blood work I've had in the past has come up negative for bacterial infection, although I often run a very low grade fever (99-100).

On two occassions I've had rebound tenderness in the lower right quadrant (where you would expect for an appendix problem). But both time it was not especially severe and the doctor I was seeing at the time dismissed it as "not important."  I had black tarry stool once for about three days about two years ago (no reoccurance) and was treated for blood in my stool (bright red...rectal hemeraoid and fissures) about a year ago due to repeated bouts of constipation. I also get fatigued a lot. I saw a GI doctor after a great NP treated me for this and he told me to "eat more fiber." Then prescribed a fiber source that contained yellow food coloring (I have an asmatic response to that... told him so before he prescribed it). I cannot take psyllium (massive abdominal/stomach inflamation (inflammation) after trying it... bad news stuff).

I've had so many really horrible experiences with doctors that I've given up on their being able to help me. The only thing that seemed to work for more than a short time was a complete vegetarian, wheat/milk free diet (I still ate small amounts of cheese), supplimenting with Lysine and taking asidophlus. It was really hard to do but it worked until I started becoming really fatigued (anemic?). I've greadually reintroduced meat, wheat with the return of the pain. I suspect that I may have to accept a vegetarian lifestyle with added lysine supplimentation.  But if anyone can give me a better option then I will gladly take it!
I have terrible lower pain in my right side reaching to my kidney or liver. I cannot even lie on my right side as it hurts and almost feels like an emty space. I have already had my appendix removed. Doctors put it down to IBS which I do not believe as I feel it is something else. I feel tired most of the time and seem to have no energy.Doctors sometimes make you feel hypocondriac so I have given up
I am hoping that when someone actually finds out what the answer was to their problem they will come back and let everyone know. I am having a lot of the same symptoms as everyone else and that I am not alone in this.
I have been an alcoholic for 3 years now. About two months ago, I had lower/upper abdominal discomfort during sleep. Later on the pain became more noticable after I would drink. Finally, the pain became constant and even would persist to the other side of my abdomen and back. Worried, I went to get a Liver enzyme test in fear of cirrohsis. It came back normal and I have
been abstaining from alcohol for about a month now. I then went  for and ultrasound with no evidence of gaul,kidney, or liver problems. My physician then diagnosed me with liver inflammation
from "fatty liver". There was more fat in my liver than normal as
another blood test revealed. Its been about 2 months now and the pain still persists but is not as bad. It feels like its never going to go away and its been driving me nuts..(im 25 years old)
The doctor said that if I remain abstanant from alcohol it will improve. I hope so.
Hi I have too suffered from LRQ/periumbilical pain going on 5 years.

I have been through all the tests, allthough unable to complete a Contrast air BE.  I tried three times and three times I got off the table right when the Barium got to that area.  You would think that was a red flag, but NO they just act pissed because you waste their time.

I had secondary Infertility and had a laparoscopy and Hsg, with many adhesions scar tissue and blocked tubes.  Suspected Endometriosis.

I was treated with Lupron this past year and only lasted three months because the pain got worse and I started bleeding for 33+days.

I have an enlarged right kidney but am told it's normal because I have a dual system kidney on that side.  After the laparoscopy I got a kidney infection and the diagnosis of Endometriosis after that terrible experience with a very powerful drug caused more problems.

I am seeing a gastroenterologist, a neuromuscular doctor and a hemotologist to differentiate my slow rising alkaline phosphatase level.  I recently had an abdominal u/s and have had many in the past, this time an experienced radiologist found what he thought was a bundle (nerves/ganglion) in my LRQ where I experience pain.

After I had our secind child this past June I was jaundice and very ill.  I was diagnosed with IBS, but obviously that is not the case.  I lost over 65 lbs within three weeks post partum.  They didn't seem too concerned.  Perscribed levsin and forget that, I took it one day and nearly went insane.

At the present time I feel I have a neurological problem as well as GI.  It seems there is some type of occlusion to the intestines, colon, and vessels.  My cirrculation is poor, and my entire body aches at different times.  The LRQ is numb (perphieral neuropothy) and I have all the symptoms of Reflex sympathetic dystrophy.  Now that I have been perscription free for over a month I feel better, In pain alot sometimies debilitating but have a direction.

I agree with the poster completely about the allergies to wheat etc.  There are some type of malabsorbtion problems going on as well.

I hope you all find some answers soon as well as me I suppose the CT scan with further detail the u/s findings.

Take Care
Its nice to read that other people are experiencing the same pain as I am (lower right quadrant discomfort) but it is also alarming that no one seems to have a straight answer/solution to their problem.

I am 28 years old, I eat well, I exercise regularly and consider myself to be overall a "healthy" person...but then there is this discomfort that started 6 months ago.  This symptom is present everyday and seems to get worst after I eat.  Placing my hand on it or a hot water bottle slightly relieves the discomfort.  If I am lying down on my back, the right side of the abdomen is noticibly swollen.

TESTS DONE THAT HAVE BEEN NEGATIVE:
-Blood tests
-Tropical disease (parasites etc.)
-Colonsoscopy
-Ultrasound (liver, pancreas)
-Lactose intolerance test
-Abdomen x-ray

Doctors have dismissed to stress and irritable bowel syndrome. I take steps to reduce the stress in my life but the symptoms are present nonetheless: diarrhea, weight loss--20 pounds in 6 months(and I EAT 3 normal meals a day), bloating, etc.

Like so many others, I need new ideas, theories, anything that can help cure myself.

I have a severe allergy to Buckwheat.
Could it be that I developed an allergy to gluten?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I have similar pains as Caroline.  I am 29 years old.  Doctors took my append out when I was 24.  The pain in the lower right continued.  They said it was crohns disease.  I went into the hospital in October.  When they did the barraium x-ray it was negative.  How can I have these pains in the hospital but yet have no intestinal swelling or blockage.  Are they sure it is crohns or could it be something else?  No medicine seems to work.
I know how you feel Caroline.    

For the past 4 years I have felt awful, It started in high school
One morning I had blood in my stool. It really scared me. I went to my docter he dimissed it. I then started to experience
severe gas and heartburn,nausea loss of appetite I switched docters, they sent for blood tests, ultrasound, upper gi and lower. everything came back negative. Thank god, but my symptons still persist on and off. Lately on. When I began to
feel sick I was in a abusive relationship and I haven't felt the
same. I am now out of the relationship but the real sympton that
persist is feeling nausious, can stress cause this where my test
results came back negative? Please Help me I'm only 22 years old and I feel like I'm 80.
I have had very cloudy,foul smelling urine for the past week along with weakeness, nausea, vomitting and diarrhea.  I do not have the energy to do much during the day and seem to get very bad headaches and dizziness if i do too much.  Just recently i started getting pain on my lower right side.  I went to the doctor a month ago and he believed that I had a kidney stone.  I'm not quite sure what to do... I haven't been able to work a full 8 hours and I need to in order to pay my bills.  Any suggestions?
Happy New Year to All.  Just wanted to say that reading everyone's aches is helping me cope with mine.  Dan, thanks.  I find it very hard not to know how to improve my condition.

However, I am determined to test any theories and suggestions that people have.  My first one is to eat "wheat-free" and "gluten-free" for two weeks and see if I feel any better.

Best of luck to all.  Keep searching and talking to people.
I have been having pain in the right side as well.  While
testing for gallbladder trouble an adenomia or hyperplasia has been found on my liver. It appears to be benign but they can not give me 100% sure of that.  The want me to wait 3 months to go back for more testing.  After many additional test, no
results for the cause of the pain.  The pain continues to become more frequent.   I have also experienced pain in
hips and legs. The Dr. has me on medication for arthritis for 30 days.  It is very difficult to sleep at night.
If anyone has any suggestions, please e mail me at
***@****.  Thanks!
For about the last six months I have been having a burning throbbing pain just below my right rib cage.  I just got over a cold and the coughing really makes the pain worse.  I have also noticed the pain increases when I work out, especially after an ab work out.  If I go out and drink the pain also increases.  I have not seen my doc.  I am scared that I have a liver problem.  Blood test showed last year no enlargement of the liver.  Sometimes it feels as though I have a ball stuffed up under my ribs. Feels like my stomach when I eat to much.  I have had terrible heartburn and indigestion problems since I was a child.  What is wrong with me?  The pain comes and goes, but when it is present it hurts on and off on and off, kind of like a heart beat.  'Any suggestions?  Besides the obvious, see your doctor??? I am 35 and worried.
My e-mail is
***@****
The l is an L sometimes confusing.
thank you
My husband had the flu for two weeks,at least
tha
ts what the Dr.thinks.He's been having
pain in his chest,stomache swelling,legs,
arms ,face cant sleep at night,blood in
urine.

Anyone having information on what causes
your stomache to swell ,please let me know.

thanks!!!!!
I am a 38 yr old caucasian female,who for the last 2 years has had what I call stomach attacks. They happen every 4 to 6 weeks and last anywhere from 6 to 12 hours.The symptons are severe pressure in my upper stomache(in the middle),and vomiting,on a scale of 1-10 the pain is a 11!when my attacks started 2 yrs ago they lasted usually around 5 hours with vomiting so fast i couldn't keep pain meds down but after the attack was over I felt fine usually just very hungry.Now in the last 6 months they last usually 12 hours,not so much vomiting but afterwards my stomache is very sore for up to 3 days with bloating.I have seen 5 gastroenteroligists,2 family drs., I have also been to 3 different hospitals while I was having the attack,no one can find a cause or reason.I was told it was IBS,but the other doctor said it wasn't,I've also been told it is reflux,but what I have read about reflux does not seem to apply.I have had numerous tests:upper GI,cat scan,augmented biliary scan,laperoscopy,endoscopy,sonograms,blood,urine and fecal tests ,all with the same outcomes that there is nothing wrong! Obviously something is wrong. This problem really does affect my day to day life I'm a stay at home mom and when I get an attack my husband has to leave work to take care of the kids while I lay in pain.I have also been on many different kinds of pain meds not much seems to work except for the shot of demerol at the ER room!Now I am on donnatalwhich I was really hoping would work but I had an attack 3 days ago and it did nothing. If anyone has any similar problems or any ideas or help at all I would appreciate hearing from you. I had 39 hours of hard labor with my 1st son and the pain from these attacks is twice as bad.
Ultrasound of gallbladder was negative.  Fectal cultures were negative for blood, parasites and bacteria.  Continue to have feeling of heaviness on right side below ribs, nausea, loose stools after eating a meal containing fat.
Nancy this is in regards to a message you posted
on Jan.17,2000. I do not wish to alarm you but
if it was my husband I would take him to the ER
immediatley. Something is very wrong, blood in
urine, chest pain and the retaining fluid, not
just in legs and ankles but in the abdomen as
well!! I'm not a professional, so please under-
stand this advice is just from what I have read
and been subjected to, many family members have
chronically ill. With his symptoms it seems like
either his liver or kidneys are not functioning
properly!!!  Nancy please let us know how he does.
I will pray for the both of you.
I think I have finally found my answer after 2 years af  very painful attacks every 4 to 6weeks,and numerous tests.I just had my appendix removed last Monday,it was absessed and perferated,it showed that at one time I had an appendicitis that was not taken care of surgically why it did not burst I dont know.But I too have had numerous tests,cat scans,sonograms,biliaryscans,I've even had blood work while in the ER which should show an elevated white count,mine was a little high but not enough to say appendix!I was diagnosed with irriatable bowl syndrome and gerd (I think most people are given this diagnose when the doctor does not know what else to do and cant find a problem!)Finally I had a cat scan shortly after an attack which showed inflamation (inflammation) around my appendix.The Dr. believes that every so often my appendix would fill up with this absess (abscess) and and then the perferation would open and the fluid would slowly leak into my stomach which gave me these attacks.He said it is a rare case I hope it helps any of you to know this information.Good luck and dont give up hope if a Dr does not listen or is not finding anything wrong switch drs. Thats what I did and within 2 months of switching to a female Dr. she found the problem.
This is related to the LRQ pain that some people have.
I have it since 1992. I have done all possible tests except MRI
which my doctor said it won't show much in that deep area.

Combining all the interpretations I got from several doctors
I convinced myself to accept the following interpretation:

-- A benign cyst is very probable; the on and off of the
       pain can be caused by the irritation of the cyst which
       changes its size.

May be some of you can discuss with their doctors this
possibility. I am only a patient. I am not a doctor. I don't
assume any responsibility for any reader's interpretation
of this msg and related actions.

Good luck.

I am with you as being an X file. About 2 years ago I began to have an ache in my lower right side, right about where my apendix is. Apendicitis was the first thing ruled out. Since then I have had numerous blood tests, CT scan, X-rays, BE, Upper GI, and numerous rectal exams. (Yuck, I hate those). Still not word. I think that my doctor has given up on me as he is very short with me when I see him so I have ventured out and have been referred to a gastroendiologist (spelling?). I hope that a fresh set of eyes will make a difference.
My pain is not continuous. I can go 2-3 months without any pain. When the pain starts it is a cross between a burn and a severe ache. Sometimes it feels like it is in the muscle. Throughout the day the pain will vary in intesity. Sometimes it elevates to the point where I need to take pain killers. Something I never thought I would take. The pain killer is Ultram. It helps a little but makes me very drowsy and non functional. My wife says that I get very spacey. If this new doctor has some suggestions I will share them with you as I feel we are all sympethetic to eachother's pains. God bless you and good luck in your search for a cure. I'll be praying.
I have the same synptoms as many of you- severe pain in lower right ab. I just came out of the hospital after 5 days of tests. Nothing conclusive- and to make it worse the nurse told the dr she thought i was depressed!-i guess i should have smiled in between the needles and the pain-i am going to continue to seek out the source of my pain and will let you all know if i find anything- I am so relieved that i am not alone- good luck everyone
same old story; right sided abdomen pain that has now extended up
into liver/gallbladder area; testing so far negative.  I am so
frustrated ( I even work in the medical field) tomorrow I see
a gastro dr, who did a colonoscopy 3 years ago and diagnosed me
with IBS.  I truly do not believe this diagnosis; my symptoms
are somewhat different than typical IBS patients.  Any suggestions anyone?  Please let me know what all of you have
found out.  Thanks Beth
Wow, it's comforting to know that I am not feeling these pains alone, although I would not wish that on any of you.
I am 26 years old, and I have been dealing with this for about 2 years now.  Until the last 6 months or so, it was only a mild discomfort on my lower right side right across from the tip of the pelvis bone(?).  It would ache at times, and then almost completely disappear.  I still have this, but it is more constant now.  If I put pressure on it, it feels better.  It's not sharp pain by any means, but just enough to be very uncomfortable.  Well, now it has evidently moved to my back.  My lower right back burns and feels hot.  I feel like I got sunburned and it even feels hot to the touch.  Of course, I feel bloated, and now it feels like it is pushing against my back muscles.  
I've had an upper and lower GI X-rays and a Barium Enema so far.  It's been almost a year since I've had these tests, so I'm considering going back again.  But, at times, I get hopeful because the pain will lessen and almost disappear.  Just when I think a change in diet has helped or something, it comes blazing back.
Man, this is frustrating.  I hope we can get this figured out one day.  My prayers are with all of you.  Good luck!

Lower right side quadrant pain was my gallbladder.  Nausea and malabsorbtion is linked to gastroparesis.  Who knows if they even know what the heck is going on.
I too have lower right quadrant discomfort and concur with some of Beth's conclusions (12/8/99) regarding possible Candida infection.

Beth, have you tried a diet that discourages this?  A homeopath or nutritionist can help you with this.  This is part of the method I am trying but am only 1 week into it. I would love to hear from anyone else who might have tried such approaches to know if I'm on the right path.
I too have pain in the right side, between the bottom of my rib cage and the hip bone.  It gets bad enough to wake me in the night. I've had this for a couple of years.  It's worse if I lay on my right side.  I can get SOME relief if I lay on the left side and massage the right side.  I have had an internal ultra sound, a CAT scan and a colonoscopy all of which are normal.  I have thought it might be my appendix, but a lot of you have had yours out.  I never thought about the liver or hepatitis.  I don't know what the symptoms for those are.

If anyone gets answers please post them!!!
I just read all the way to the end of this thread, and boy, does this all sound FAMILIAR!!! You recite my symptoms exactly -- pain in lower rt abdomen, can radiate to hip, lower back. Comes and goes -- have it for a few weeks and it goes away, sometimes just a nagging ache, sometimes worse...can be made to hurt more with twisting, physical activity, intercourse... It's recurred for me for about 14 years. Wow, that sounds like a long time. But I'm 26 and first noticed it when I was 12. (I went to the doctor then and a few times since, was dismissed. Not appendix, not kidney stone or anything else that could be found.)
I thought I'd found an answer - perhaps it is a recurring ovarian cyst, it fit my symptoms - but a recent exam by a Gyn confirmed ovaries were normal size. She said ovulation pain ("Mittelschmerz") was a possibility, but it's not always at that time and it lasts too long. (Not to mention all you men on this list!)
I'm not having any gallstone symptoms, and I think the pain is basically too low anyhow. My bowels are normal.
"Strained muscle" was the only other suggestion my doctor had. It does not feel like that to me!
I'm intrigued that so many people seem to have the same constellation of symptoms -- men and women, with appendices and without, and many of you have had all the possible tests. Mysterious. But I try not to worry about it too much.
I can't believe I found this web site. I went to Dogpile and typed in "weird side pain" and ended up here. I can't believe so many people have the same thing that I do. My weird side pain, as I refer to it, began in May. It started as a dull ache on the lower ride side. I had just begun working out after about 18 months, so at first I thought it might be something from exercising. After a few weeks I went to see my Gyn b/c I thought it might be ovarian cancer or something dreadful like that. They did an ultrasound and ruled out my ovaries. The discomfort comes and goes. I won't have it for 2 weeks and think its gone and then it comes back again. I went to a GP dr. and he said it was probably due to working out, pulled muscle or stain. But I doubt it is that. I have had it now on and off for 5 months. I am really tired of worrying about it. I had blood tests done and they were normal, also they checked for blood in the stool, also negative.  When I lie down it feels better, usually is worse in the late afternoon after being active all day. I feel fine other than that nagging discomfort in the lower right side. It also affects my hip sometimes. I'm not sure where to go from here... and after reading all these comments, it sounds like we are all in the same boat. Good luck to all with the weird side pain.
I have Gallstones, and have been performing "olive oil" flushes to try and rid myself of the stones.

The lower right side pain is obvious with me, for several weeks after performing a flush.  Most of the time, it feels like a burning and aching".

Well, Guess What?  I saw my doctor last week, and started taking Levaquin (a powerful antiobiotic) for infection.  

Within a few hours of taking the first Levaquin, I felt a lot of movement in my right side (sort of like "sand moving")...  With each day (I've been on the antibiotic for 8 days now), I have less pain and pressure, and more "liquid feeling" movement.  It's like some kind of blockage is being cleared (although none was present on ultrasounds).  I'm not sure what causes the problem, but the Levaquin seems to solve it.  

I used the same drug about 3 years ago for prostatitis... Even though none of the tests showed any kind of bacteria present, the Levaquin still corrected the inflammation problem (after approx. 3 weeks of use).  It also appears to work for whatever causes the right side pain/burning.
I too am having pains in my lower right hand side and nausea.  They started two months ago--after 2 weeks of pain, and many tests-cat scan, internal ultrasound, IVP, small bowel series, colonoscopy, blood tests, etc, they decided to do an exploratory surgery.  They took my appendix out, patched me up and sent me home.  About 7 days after they removed my appendix, and I had healed from the surgery, I again had the lower right quadrant pain and nausea like you would not believe. They put me in the hospital for 5 days, did they tests AGAIN--and still, I have been unable to get a diagnosis from my doctor, I've been given all types of medicines to "mask" my pain and nausea--but nothing to take it away.  I am going to see a specialist at Johns Hopkins tomorrow--I'll keep everyone up to date, if and when i get some type of dignosis
I was born with Gastroschisis. 2 foot of my small intestine was on the outside of my body. I had to have 3 different surgeries to out it all back in again, and that has left a scar on my stomach that is about 7 to 7.5 inches long.  Recently, I started having pain on my right lower abdomen. It happened once and only lasted for about 15 minutes, then went away. The second time, it lasted for about 5 hours. Every time it happens since then, it seems like it's lasting longer. Then in October, it happened 2 weeks apart, so my mother decided I should go to the doctor. (I'm only 17 years old.) My family doctor reccomended an abdominal ultrasound and an Upper GI with the lower bowel follow through. They found 2 things; a mass beside my liver and gallstones. Then, the doctor ordered a CT Scan so they could see what the mass was. They weren't sure until today what it was, and they have decided it's either scar tissue, or maybe some of the mesh silastic stuff they used to repair my stomach with. Either way, I'm scheduled for surgery on Friday morning to have my gallbladder removed. They are going to try to do the laporoscopy. Once they get in there, they may not be able to see properly, because of scar tissue, or even the mass, that was 6.4x3.4x3.8cm large. If they can't see, they're going to go ahead and do the open surgery that will wipe me out for weeks. If your experiencing pain, don't mess around with it. Get to your doctor right away... it's been a week and 3 days since I first went to the doctor about it, and in another day I get surgery.
Wayne

You can't rely on the tests. My  husband saw an internist and a surgeon complaining of a dull pain in the right lower quadrant of his abdomen. 6 months later he started running a low grade fever. He had 2 ct scans and they even removed his appendix, believing it to be appendicitis. Two days later, the pathology came back revealing adenocarcinoma of the appendix in a very advanced stage. He then had a right hemicolectomy, removing the right portion of his colon and a portion of the abdominal wall, where the tumor had ruptured. This was followed by a month of daily radiation treatments and a 6 month regimen of chemotherapy. He had remained cancer free for about a year and a half and recently had a recurrence in the peritoneal cavity, requiring another surgery to remove this new tumor. He looks and feels GREAT, but is told that his prognosis is poor. Don't ignore your symptoms just because they are "livable".
I too have LRQ pain that started a year ago within a couple of weeks of open heart surgery. The pain starts toward my back, just below my ribs then radiates around to the same spot in the front.  The pain only comes in the middle of the night and lasts for 4-5 hours. Taking 5 advil usually dulls the pain enough to go to sleep. Sometimes  I vomit. The pain is at least equal to labor pain- its terrible. I am a 37 yr old female who has never had any type of gasto or other type problems before. The heart surgery was to remove a tumor (beneign) that had been there for probably 3 years. The pain is not constant, sometimes it goes away for weeks or even months. I had all the kidney stone tests(though they were done a week after the pain) and they were negative. When the pain came back a few months later the dr did a CT scan-negative. That test was perfomed a few days after the pain. I have not had it for 2 weeks though every night before i go to sleep i wonder "will it come tonight?" I think next time it comes i may go to the ER so they can do some tests at the time i am having the pain. I can't help but think it is somehow related to the OH surgery or that the blood flow from my heart was so impaired by the tumor that it affected my liver or kidneys. Thanks

Okay, here it goes...maybe someone can help me-I have somewhat of a list of medical problems and surgeries so I will try to keep it as brief as possible. I have been having pain in my lower right side for a total of about 6-7 months. It first started out as a hot burning pain that would wake me up out of a deep sleep, but only lasted for about 5 minutes at a time and felt like it was coming from inside my pelvic bone. The pain has now graduated to an almost constant pain with intermittent periods of a sharp stabbing-like pain on my right side. When I lay on my stomache and press on my abdomen I have the most pain from the right side of my belly-button all the way down to my pubic area. No matter where on my stomache I press I always get pain in my right side. I went to my internest last month and he did a WBC and urinalysis and everything was okay with the minor exception of a low-grade temp of 99.7. Two months ago I went to a GYN (I had a total hysterectomy about 8 years ago- I am 33 by the way- after more than 5 years of ovarian cysts, and more than 7 surgeries of laparotomies, laparoscopies and a colonoscopy bag on my left side for 6 weeks due to the Dr. accidently cutting my intestine while performing a laparoscopy). I really don't know why I went to a GYN but I have not had any kind of a check up since the hysterectomy so I thought it wouldn't hurt. He ordered an ultrasound of my pelvic area and that was neg. also. I had a surgery in Aug (Hidradenitis in my groin area, bi-lateral) and the pre-admission blood test said that I had an elevated Sodium, Potassium, Chloride levels as well as an elevated MPV (???) I guess that this is nothing to worry about or the Dr. would have let me know, but I thought I'd throw it in anyway. I am on disability due to the Hidradenitis and take pain med so I always have a problem with constipation but take Colace for it. I have rectal bleeding for a couple of years due to the constipation I guess (no hemmorids though) but noticed that bright red blood was actually throughout my stool last night. My internest mentioned that the pain in my r. side could be from a problem with my intestines so I guess you could say that last night was the first time I actually LOOKED for it. I know that I should go back to the Dr, but to be honest, I am ssooo sick of Dr's and surgeries that I am trying to put the thought of going back to the Dr. out of my mind. Basically what I want to know what people with my symptoms did, (minus the extra medical problems) and what tests they had done and their findings where before I have to go....Thanks for reading my novel, I would appreciate any help or advice ;o)
I just wanted to add that my pain goes straight to my lower back on the right side also. I know that you are not supposed to give your email, but I am kind of desperate so if anyone had info, please contact me at:Manic_Masterpiece***@****
This totally amazes me reading all the messages in this one thread. Of course I am here because I have the same problem...but it has gotten MUCH worse and I am so frustrated. I first noticed this pain in my right side when I was pregnant with my son. Then during delivery, I was given an epidural - yet while pushing, the pain got SO intense and felt like something was going to explode. My obstetrician was baffled...and said maybe the epidural didn't work on that side of my body. But it was NOT contractions that were hurting me...it was this side pain when pushing. At my post-partum checkup she gave me a prescription for hyocyamine and said I had IBS.
That was 5 years ago. The pain has steadily grown more frequent and painful, and in the last 3 months, completely unbearable. Before I would get it off and on...and although it hurt, it didn't restrict my activities. Now it seriously does because it is NON-STOP.
On Dec. 21, the pain became EXCRUTIATING. It extended through my low back, up under my ribs, and into my hip. I could not even walk from the pain, and it was hard to breathe too. Also, my abdomen and back were swollen to almost twice my normal size. My normal jeans wouldn't come close to buttoning. Every little movement felt like a HUGE effort and if I tried to do anything I would get light-headed and feel extremely hot. I also felt nauseaus. So I went to the emergency room.
They said my white blood count was elevated, but not enough to be my appendix. I had a fever of 101.7, and pus in my urine???
The dr. concluded I had a yeast infection and a kidney infection. I've had both before and neither felt nearly as painful as this...but they gave me 2 antibiotic shots and a pain shot, and sent me home with Cipro which I took.
5 days later I was back at the Emergency room because I really was afraid my appendix had burst. It just hurt sooooooo bad. Fever still 101, blood tests all came back the same, and my pap smear was abnormal too. This is 5 days after taking medication. Dr. said maybe I pulled a muscle in my back (WHATEVER!!!!). He gave me another antibiotic and scheduled an ultrasound (pelvic and abdominal) the next day.
Ultrasound came back normal. They now want to do a colonoscopy tomorrow, but you know what? They can go to hell. I don't think it has anything to do with my colon, and I'll be damned if I am drinking a gallon of this rotten potion they gave me. Also, I do not have medical insurance so these tests are REALLY racking up the bills.
After a TON of reading, I think it is my gall bladder. My mom said she had to have her appendix and gallbladder removed when she was my age (28) due to similar pains that started at age 15. So I think I will have them test for that...and also investigate why my pap smear is abnormal. Maybe it is an inflamed fallopian tube.
Heck I don't know...and neither do they. All I know for sure is I'm really sick of paying thousands of dollars for tests and drugs and getting no answers and no relief.
Anyone here got any suggestions?
Wow, I thought I was alone.Went through all the tests,all negative, and 15 doctors.Went to a naturopathic doctor who used Electro Dermal Screening or electro acupuncture machine and found I had mercury toxicity in my body.A biological dentist also using his own machine tested each tooth and many of them registered 200 plus millevolts which is way above the average.Mercury came from 8 amalgam fillings(55% mercury plus other metals like nickle),10 crowns and one root canal.Besides the pain in the LRQ region, my GI tract is stressed from the mercury,terrible constipation--small pebble like very hard,dry.I'm having the amalgam fillings removed.Next Monday I will have the root canal tooth extracted.Read Dr George Meinig,retired dentist, book ROOT CANAL COVERUP EXPOSED.There's so much bacteria emitted from the root canal flowing into the blood stream into tissues and organs.Any way I'll find out if this mercury toxicity has caused the excruciating cutting pains for 2 years.

Vague, periodic, "burning" pain in lower right abdomen.  Accompanied by occasional irregularity in my bowel movements, bloating, occasional fatigue, weight loss, general malaise for past few months.  Totally worried about my liver, but my PCP said blood tests, X-ray, physical exam looked good...so I am stuck in lala-land.  I evidently have Gilbert's Syndrome so it is hard to get a good liver reading.  I even told him that I thought it was my liver, but he dismissed it and said come back in 6-8 weeks if it gets worse.  We all seem to be in the same undiagnosable situation.  Good luck...let you all know if situation resolves or changes.
My 21 year old daughter just spent 4 months in a reputable teaching hospital for LRQ pain. Had 1 1/2 feet of small bowel removed because of adhesions from previous surgery. Had 1 foot removed 2 yrs ago. Has chronic pain and is not able to even tolerate eating. Has deep line catheter for IV nutrition. Docs have taken all pain meds away and have started her on Librax. Slows motility. Seems to help somewhat, has her functioning better. We have no clear answers.(no name) but, a direction! She has dealt with this pain since she is 8. They first thought Crohn's disease. Now they say no. They say it is just a dismotility disorder. She has had gallbladder and appendix removed. We are'nt concerned with answers anymore we just need the support of the medical community. They are great when she is in the hospital. But, out of site out of mind. I am grateful to have found this thread. I will check back and I will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for sharing you're stories with us. It's reassuring to know their are others who have similar problems. Kristy's Mom
I feel somewhat better knowing that I am NOT alone!  I have had pain in the right side for over a year. (40 years old) I was diagnosed with mono last spring and thought my pain was due to that.  I've had severe fatigue, intermittent fevers, and just chronic pain on the right side.  I had a CT scan, upper and lower GI, and colonoscopy which all came out negative.  I'm thrilled that its not cancer or something horrible, but I am so sick of the doctors telling me there is nothing wrong!  I have pain in the right side every day! It goes from my lower ribs and it aches terribly.  I also feel a throbbing pain deep inside my right lower abdomen just below the aching rib cage. I also had abnormal urine tests with protein in the urine. The doctor said it was not a kidney inf. I had a kidney cat scan because they thought it was a kidney problem but that came out normal.I lost weight and had no energy .The kidney problem and severe fatigue and fevers finally went away after  I was prescribed LEVAQUIN. It is an amazing antibiotic.  The pain cannot be from excersizing because I had to give that up when I got so ill.  I just wonder if it is my liver.  The liver looked ok in the CT scan and the liver function test (enzymes) were ok but the bilirubin was elevated.  I wonder if it is a liver or gallblader (gallbladder) problem.  I drink red wine with dinner but I am thin and eat mainly fruits, vegetables and whole grains! What is wrong?
I can appreciate all that I read. I have had ongoing problems of pain in my rt. lower quadrant accompanied by narrow of my stool. This started in Sept. 2000. I went to see a specialist and he ran the normal tests; urine, blood,plain abdominal xray, ultrasound, and ct scan. The only item they could find was the gallbladder. I had a stone of 1.25" in size. Now that I have recooped, I thought I would be cured. Now, 3 weeks later I have the same pain. I am going back to see my specialist again. I am starting to feel like many of you. I hope they can figure out what is going on this time. By the way. I had my appendix out 20 years ago, so I know that's not the problem. I will stay in touch.
You should all check out information on Costochondritis.  Tenderness under the ribs can be caused by an inflammation of the cartilege around the ribs and this discomfort can cause pain and soreness all around.  Don't be taken in by the information that tells you it usually goes away in about 6 weeks - I have been in touch with people who have had it for years, off and on.  It's not life-threatening, and I can usually deal with it by taking Advil (3-3 times a day with meals) and using an ice pack.  It's definitely affected by stress but not related in any way to food as far as I can tell.  May be caused by a virus or an injury some time ago.  Mine is worst when I sit at my computer at work and I feel like my ribs are rubbing on my waist band - had my liver etc checked out and everything is fine - it's just really sore and tender.  If you press the area near your ribs and it feels tender and sore, talk to your doctor and check out information on the web. Good luck!
For the past 4 years I have had similar symptoms of you all. What follows is only the result of much reading that I did, like most of you.
Pain in the right lower quadrant (RLQ) is also one of the symptoms of IBS (irritated bowel sindrome (syndrome)), specially when all your exams show up nothing wrong. The RLQ is where the cecum (usualy) is, wich in some cases also gets severely affected by the IBS. VERY RECENTLY (december 2000) a medical research article has pointed out for the first time the conection betwen IBS and bacterial infestation of the small intestine in near 80% of the IBS cases. The discovery was made using a lactulose breath test. Then, a treatment with several antibiotcs is discussed in that article. Those who, after the antibiotic, managed to erradicated the bacteria had their symptoms eliminated or reduced, and those who failed to eliminated the infestation of bacteria of the small intestine did not have their condition improved, says the article. The problem seems to be in the difficulty to diagnose such a bacteria infestation in the small intestine since it is not easy to reach the small intestine directly. The lactulose breath test itself is not very precise (16-60% precision). But, above all, the present difficulty that some of the bacterial infestation in the intestine brings is the huge amount of bacteria species that makes the intestinal flora: about 500 different species of bacteria. Some of them (like some of the 7 species of Clostridium) can not live in the presence of oxygen and therefore never show up in cultures (that can expose Salmonela (salmonella) for instance). Some of these bacteria may be unknown or even be a perfectly normal bacteria that may have been modified by incorrect use of antibiotics, long ago, and became agressive. The flora of a person is unique and very dynamical. It gets modified by particular feeding habits and even by stress. It seems to me that for all of us to be free from these symptoms in the short term, medical science will have to invest much more resources (financial and mental) in understanding them. The article below seems to be an excellent beginning (I did a combined treatment with 2 of the 4 antibiotics mentioned and my symptoms have reduced). The site for the article mentioned above is (American Journal of Gastroenterology - issue of December 2000):

www-east.elsevier.com/ajg/frames/thismnth.htm

The title of the article is:
"Eradication of Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth Reduces Symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome"

I sincerely hope that together, sharing also the good news, one shall be able to get out of this mess. All of us.
wow an eye opening experience drs. seem to not believe me when I tell them about the pain I have in the same areas,Have had all test due to the fact i do have hep c.,but dr. tells me you should not get pain from a liver.He just recently told me I also have ibs,and granuloma in my liver,Which I do not understand,And he does not know much about it, this is why I found this site today.
     I have fluid in my abdomen.bloating in my stomach,pain just below my right back rib cage,problems sleeping,pain gets worse when I sit,get pains in both feet on the bottom outside makes it hard to walk,constantly hungary,abdomen and stomach fill up and reside quite often,I am a recovering alcoholic and trying to find some answers, I do know that this is not in my head like some doctors seem to make me feeland will continue to find a reason why theses problems exist,and will let everyone know about any information I find.
    God bless you all and hope we can find a solution to this situation together.
This is truely amazing. My story is more lengthy, but as seeing this board has at least let me know I am not the only one. 13 years ago I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. As time and many surgeries went by I am here. I had Nissen Fundoplication performed 1996 (wrap of the stomach around the esophagus) to eliminate constant refulx. 3 months later, my gallbladder decided to stop functioning. Removed. I continued to have problems, discovered that I have a slow emptying stomach, okay, I can avoid problems by avoiding certain foods. Approximately 2 years ago, started having pain in my right side. It started as a sharp pain which occaisionally came like a severe gripping and would go away. It was not frequent so I figured just another problem. It became more frequent so I went in a year ago. Had every test known to man performed, found nothing. Since I peripherial joint involvement as well as other things, it was norrowed to 3 choices. SLE (Lupus) RA or Crohns, I can live with that, however the reason for the three is that I fit some areas of each but all of none. My pain again kept cramping more and more frequent. Went in, again every test, now the result, surgery to see if it is scar tissue or hernia. Do I feel releived? No. and why? probably because I know that whatever is found, will be fixed and 6 months later I am back to square 1, fixing the result of what I have not the cause........................as I told the Dr. out of frustration either tell me what it is or name it after me.

I appreciate the time to let me vent, I will update the outcome and good luck to all.

I have been reading, with great interest, all the comments by the sufferers of quadrant pain, IBS, etc., I had my gallbladder removed 1 year ago, and since that time, have been suffering with chronic diarrhea, as well as, abdominal pain across the top of my abdomen under the rib cages. I am also experiencing a great amount of stomach "rumbling", accompanied by pain which is not very severe, but annoying and uncomfortable. I sometimes vomit bile. I have contractions under the right rib cage before each "rumble" and all the doctors' I have consulted say it is not unusual to have chronic diarrhea after gallbladder surgery. That, of course, is no comfort to me. I have had many tests taken and was told that it is nothing serious, but to me, serious or not, I would rather not have the discomfort. I have read numerous comments from you people, but wonder why none of you have mentioned the 'rumbling' in your stomach...just curious. Am I the only person that has this?? If any of you readers of this site, can relate, please do so, so I can feel as if I am not alone.  Oh, by the way, I am 70 years old and this all started after the gallbladder surgery. Prior to that, I was in excellent health.  Thanks for listening..
This is truly disconcerting that there are so many of you who are undiagnosed and recieving no relief!  My husband has had these same symptoms as well as diarhhea and vomiting and has been through all of the tests, CT, sonogram, Hep, Liver panel, Colonoscopy and he even had his gall bladder removed!!  My friend told me about a person she knew who had Celiac Sprue.  I had never heard of it but it also produces these symptoms.  It is basically a gluten intolerance that causes your small intestine to shut down and not be able to absorb any nutrients.  It causes malnutrition, severe vitamin deficiencies, osteoperosis and can cause damage to your gastro intestinal tract.  Some of the symptoms include abdominal pain, diarhhea, vomiting, floating stools (due to the inability to absorb fat), weight loss (or gain) bloating or abdominal distension and joint pain.  It is often misdiagnosed as Crohn's, IBS or not diagnosed at all!
Ask your GI doctor to do a celiac test.  Be aware that many of the blood tests for this come back negative so you really need a biopsy of the small intestine. Check it out on www.celiac.com.  If you are diagnosed with this, you will need to avoid eating gluten and it could take 2-6 months on this diet to get relief.  I hope all of you get relief sometime soon!
I am having an annoying pain or ache on my lower right side from under ribs down  accross from belly button. The ache feels like a heaviness that wakes me up at night. I am constantly aware of it all of the time. I have a hard time turning over and have awakened sweating and uncomfortable. My left side feels heavy and knotted up at night. The pain is tolerable but nagging. I had my gall bladder removed 2 1/2 years ago.  I had some tests last week. Anyone having this same sensation constantly?.. One other thing... after some tests I burp all evening...but I can eat what I want and feel no nausea.
THanks Linda
you mentioned when you excluded wheat in your diet you felt better  from someone who has suffered many yrs with stomach problems and get a different answer from every dr i see i started  gathering info on my own  There is a stomach ailment known as Celiac disease and it has to do with glutton found in wheat products some people cant digest it properly and it damages the intestines (casing pain and bowel problems ) I am not a doctor and cant answer you questions exactly but if i were you i'd look into the celiac disease Based on your own statements about the wheat, it couldnt hurt looking into
I also have lower abdominal pain and it goes around to my back and down my right leg it comes and goes severe and sometimes just an annoying nagging dull ache.  I also have headaches sometimes and I also have abnormal paps yet the last one came back normal I don't know what's wrong with me I am on effexor for anxiety and I have gas pains and diffrent bowel problems and it is driving me crazy I wish his would just go away. And how come the doctors can't find out what my problem is?
Hello everyone...

I too feel soooooo much better, knowing that I'm not alone with this and it's only been 8 weeks for me and my heart goes out to all of you who have been suffering a long time.  I have a suspected possible distal right ureterovesical junction calculus (kidney stone) however it's questionable and I am waiting more information from other tests ect., I believe it started with a flue infection, I know exactly when, which left me with a bladder infection which in turn left me with a lower right quadrant discomfort which appears to be getting worse with frequent bouts of stabbing, shooting poisenous pain reaching from my pelvis right up to my liver. My doctor thinks its the passing of the stones. I too had a CAT scan and it was noted I had a possible hemangioma of the liver 1cm in diameter along with a ovarian cyst and fibroids.  At this time I know I am free of infection in the utinary tract as I am taking currently cipro antibiotic. What I'd like to ascertain from people suffering similarly with lower right quadrant discomfort, have it left them with a strong odour from their underarm persperation which normally would suggest infection going on.  I read above somebody was taking a very strong antibiotic with success and relief from their symptons even though they didn't have any infection, so I will definitly enquire with my heathcare provider about this medicine. I believe it was nevaquin?? (see above) Good luck to you all in your strive to find cures and relief to your symptons.  As a footnote to this, when I see a doctor now, I always follow up the consultation with a letter/fax (hopefully email one day) just outlining the saliant points, it gives me focus, clarification and helps me to get my thoughts down on paper, hoping it points the doctor to look at my case more diligently and sympathetically, keeping him/her on tract of my case. I would definitly recommend this approach. Knowing that I am not alone now will help me to come to terms with this condition and just get on with my life the best I can.  Email me if you have any extra information or you think I could be of any help to you at ***@****.  Good luck!!  PS  Does anybody know how you set up these post-a-comment forms on the internet.  They're great!!  Again, Please email me...
Hi everyone....

25 yo healthy male with all these symptoms for the last few months and all the same tests and treatments.  My heart goes out to all of you for dealing with these pains...I know how miserable they can make us especially when we've been "perfectly" healthy for most of our lives with little family history of disease.

My symptoms include:
pain in the right side around the ribs occassionally radiating to the stomach and back, extreme nausea with lots of stomach rumbling and movement, elevated and variable liver enzyme levels, diarrhea and occassional blood in the stool, gas, bloated and full feelings after eating, low grade fever at times, sweating and chills, dizziness, and fatigue

Some tests I've already had:
EGD, US, CT scan, ERCP and I've been on antibiotics, antacids, & antidepressants but nothing has worked so far.

For now, the doc is stuck on gallstones, and a HIDA scan to test gallbladder function followed by removal will probably be the next step for me.  I've heard a lot of horror stories about this not working and causing more problems, does anyone have any success stories they can tell me about cholecystectomy?

I'm also particulary interested in some comments about this being a potentially neurological problem.  Has anyone ever heard of or felt like they may have what's called "RLS," or restless leg syndrome?  It's a little understood neurological disorder that tends to keep you up and night and gives an uncomfortable restless feeling particularly in your legs.  Makes you feel like you need to move or kick something and can sometimes cause symptoms similar to the shaking associated with parkinsons.  I never knew what it was but have always had it and noticed some increased recurrence throughout these abdominal pains I've been having.....just a thought.

Good luck to all and please update your stories if anything improves or is understood...
A related discussion, pain in right ribs that radiates down and into back was started.
A related discussion, there is help was started.
A related discussion, the answers are is here was started.
A related discussion, sore back in the morning and more was started.