Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Lump in throat
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Lump in throat

A couple of days ago I felt a hard lump in my throat which doesn't get any better with warm liquids, throat lozenges, etc.  I am having difficulty swallowing.  What condition could cause this and what should I do about it?
Related Discussions
0 Comments
Blank
I have experienced the feeling of a "lump" in my throat, and found out it was due to my trouble with anxiety and acid reflux/heartburn. Do you have trouble with heartburn? If not, anxiety could be the other reason for that uncomfortable feeling. I have suffered from anxiety/panic for years which in turn affected my gastrointestinal tract. I hope you don't suffer from this malady; it can be very distressing. Good luck! Q
Blank
Hello I just yesterday noticed that I had a lump in my throat which id not getting better with cough drops this is really making me nervous i think that I might have throat cancer.
Blank
Are you sure we're not related?  In fact, I'm finding alot of my relatives on this site...Cancer is always the first thing I think of and fear, too.  I had this lump in my throat feeling for quite awhile and it's a bit better now.  I'm sure what was causing it was a combination of anxiety and possible GERD.  I have generalized anxiety disorder anyway and many of the symptoms of GERD cropped up all of a sudden.  I don't think you have cancer and hope I don't either...but the fear is always there.  Alot of prayer and faith get me through it, but sometimes it can be overwhelming.  Good luck.
Blank

Question: do you feel a lump in your throat with your hands or do you feel like a lumpy sensation when you swallow?

In the first case, you need to see a doctor right now instead of worrying needlessly. In the second case, you need to try to relax, and do warm salt water or baking soda gargles (1 tablespoon per glass) for about a week.   If that doesn't help at all, see a doctor then.

Take care.
Blank
A related discussion, thick saliva was started.
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979