Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Lump in upper left abdomen for 11 months

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I paid to post this, and would like to upload a picture of what I'm talking about, but don't see the button, so here is the picture http://s3.amazonaws.com/medhelp_images/posts/5009804_fs?1256425827
I have had a lump which seems to be growing around the left rib cage since last November. I had my latest VP shunt series done and just by chance a black circular thing showed up in the exact same spot where I have the lump and pain. I would like to know if you think this is a bowel thing or a stomach thing. I am aware that it looks like an air pocket, but keep in mind that this lump has been there for 11 months and I have not been constipated or have been "backed up" for 11 months. Why whatever it is, would it be there for so long. And why is the lump getting bigger? It is hard to touch and does not feel like air or fluid.
Tough to say without evaluation.

If the lump is superficial, a referral to a surgeon can be made for possible biopsy and removal.  

But if not, further imaging with a CT scan would be needed to better elucidate the lump. If the lump is within the bowel, less likely since you are able to feel it through the skin, then an endoscopy can be done for more evaluation.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin Pho, M.D.

KevinMD.com
Twitter.com/KevinMD
Facebook.com/KevinMDblog