Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Lumps in Throat

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Lumps in Throat

I have 2 large knots on each side of my throat.

About every other day I have a discharge ( White/brown ) clumps That are located in the folds and in a hole in the lumps. I often will use the end of a tooth brush to press the clumps out.
They smell REALLY BAD.

What could it be ??

I know I should go to a doctor, but any idea would help me decide to go

Thanking you in advance
Lee Hanger
it is a serious infection.
Please see a doctor soon this may be a absess (abscess) and the infection can travel to your brain!
Those two knots in your throat are probably your tonsils and they probably have a plaque substance that builds up in the crevases of the tonsils.  If you are really concerned then go and see your doctor.  That is what they get paid for so use them!!
I was told by my doctor that what you are describing are known as "white pearls" and are not life threatening, but may be looked into further if they became bothersome or painful.  When a piece loosens and one ends up on your tongue, crushing it between your fingers will reveal the awfully bad smell you are talking about.  I took one and didn't crush it and it didn't smell.  You may want to consult your primary doctor anyhow to leave a record of your concern.
I have also noticed I am having the same problem over the past few weeks. I used to get this occasionally when I was very young (about 9-13). Then it stopped and I haven't had it for years and years (I'm now 19). All of a sudden over the past two months or so, I've had a lump in my throat when I wake up and I have to cough it up into the bin or a piece of tissue. Its discusting! I've just been in the shower and I noticed an itching in my throat so I looked in the mirror, and sure enough, I could see lumps in the right hand corner. I heaved and coughed enough to get out 3 massive lumps! Its DISCUSTING! I've still got one stuck on the left side though and will have to wait for it to naturally come out and probably get lodged in my throat in the morning and then I have to cough it up and start the whole circle again. I'm going to book an appointment with my doctor tomorrow I think. I hate going to the doctors though. Its a fear factor more than anything else. You never know what your going to hear, but I guess its better to find out what's going on.

stu