Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
MID/UPPER ABDOMINAL PAIN AFTER ALCOHOL

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

MID/UPPER ABDOMINAL PAIN AFTER ALCOHOL

I am a 32 yr old active male. Over the past year, have noticed a pain in the middle/upper abdominal (couple of inches above belly button) the morning after a night of drinking alcohol. IT ALWAYS become worse when I expand my stomach, as if im trying to fill my stomach up with air. It does not seem to get worse with eating, and usually goes away later that morning

I usually drink about 6-10 beers, twice weekly.
I also have had an increased urgency and frequency to urinate at night (even when no drinking was involved). I also have significant, but occasional pain in my testicles. No burning on urination, but it feels "hot" when I pee. Some odd pain in tube at tip of penis, and it seems that the stream is weaker than it used to be. I have a lot of gas and find it difficult to push out stools without taking a light daily laxative supplement.

I have consulted doctors and have had a colonoscopy, testicle ultrasound, UPPER GI. The ultrsound was fine for the testicles, but revealed 2 kidney stones, which my doctor said not to worry about....The GI revealed only some reflux, colonoscopy normal.

I then  saw a urologist, who initially found some blood in urine, but sent me for the test where they inject you with dye, and said that came back fine...even went as far to say I didnt have kidney stones..?

I am a frequent beer drinker, but never during the week (MON-FRI)..I only drink during the weekends (FRI/SUN) about 6-10 beers each night.
I work out 4-5 days a week (cardio) and eat very little fats.

I am worried it could be my pancreas, or could it be prostititis?
Do they check the pancreas on an upper GI??I have also noted occasional mucous on my stools.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Rob
Possibilities can include the various causes of dyspepsia (GERD, an ulcer or inflammation of the upper digestive tract), pancreatitis or diseases of the liver or gallbladder.

I would consider enzymes looking at the pancreas, an abdominal ultrasound to look at the liver and gallbladder, or an upper endoscopy (more comprehensive than an upper GI).  You can also consider a blood test looking for H Pylori, which is associated with ulcers or inflammation.  

They do not check the pancreas on an upper GI.  A CT scan can be used if imaging is considered.

Regarding the burning.  Infection would have to be ruled out - a urine test can be done to evaluate for STDs or a UTI.  You can also consider a transrectal ultrasound to evaluate the prostate, or a cystoscopy to look for anatomical abnormalities that can lead to your symptoms (i.e. a urethral stricture or polyp).

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com
POSTED THIS THURS.....ANY IDEA HOW LONG IT Takes for a response???????????????????????????????????
I had also mentioned testicle pain, and increased urination during sleep time. The urologist basically told me that there was nothing else he could help me with...he said I may have prostatitis, so he told me to try saw polmeto....thats it......
ALSO, is my alcohol consumption considered excessive for my age?

Any further comments?
A related discussion, hello was started.
A related discussion, Pain after drinking alcohol was started.
A related discussion, Bowel disorder was started.