Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Meat intolerance

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Meat intolerance
I apologize for the length, but wanted to give as much information as possible.  For the last few years 3 or 4, I have suffered from an ever increasing intestinal problem.  At first it was just a lot of loose stool and some occasional incontinence, but this last year has become awful.  I have diarrhea several times a day 3-4 that almost never is formed stool.  It ranges from water with undigested food, to a thick sludge.  I also urgent bouts of diarrhea that if I don't get to the bathroom in time, I will have an accident.  These bouts usually occur within about a half hour of eating, and sometimes they occur while still eating a meal.  It has gotten to the point that I won't go out for dinner anymore, because I either have to go while still eating, or can't make it home in time.  I also started having severe bloating and gas.  I had a colonoscopy, and an endoscopy, and the only thing that was found was mild gastritis, and LA grade A esophagitis.  The gastroenterologist said I have IBS.  So I started eliminating offending foods, like fried foods, ice cream, milk, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, beans etc.  It has cut down on the gas and bloating, but not the diarrhea.  I have never been much of a meat eater, but have found that if I eat ANY type of meat, I get gassy, bloated and have no bowel movement for about 3 days.  During the three days, I constantly feel as though I need to have a bowel movement, but the only thing that comes out are large globs of bloody mucous.  Then around the end of day 3 or 4, I will have diarrhea and the mucous goes back to normal.  Is there anything that I can do to help this, so I don't keep losing weight?  I am now 5'4" and weigh 108, and can't afford to lose more weight.  A ct scan of my abdomen came back fine also.  Could this be related to left side groin and iliac crest pain that doctors can't find the source of?  Thank you in advance
You have had a comprehensive evaluation thus far which would rule out many of the major GI disorders.  

Sending the stool off for fat analysis should be considered.  Mucous in the stool may be indicative of malaborption or pancreatitis.  Obtaining serum pancreatic enzymes can also be obtained to exclude the latter possibility.  

Blood tests for celiac disease should also be considered as well.  

These diseases can also cause abdominal pain and bloating as well.  They should be discussed with your personal physician or in conjunction with your GI physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
I feel your pain!!  Talk to your doc about amitriptyline and see if he/she thinks it might help.  I have severe IBS as you do- to the point that sometimes just the smell of food will trigger it.  I have been on a very low dose of amitriptyline for 4 yrs now- and it was a godsend for me.  I still have bouts from time to time , but i'm not afraid to go out and eat anymore!  It's hard to live life to the fullest when you're in that vicious IBS circle-  you don't eat because you're nervous about what's going to happen then when you do eat it really gets going because you haven't eaten- so then you don't eat because your nervous.....  Talk to your doc- there is hope to enjoy food again!  Good luck!
I wanted to ask if malabsorption could cause a low blood total protein result.  I had some blood tests ran while they were looking for the cause of the side pain, and this result came back. My hemoglobin was also high.  I think they tested me for celiac and it was negative.  Thanks for any help
A related discussion, MEAT INTOLERANCE was started.
A related discussion, Vegetarian; problems gone. was started.