Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Mild Splenomegaly

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Mild Splenomegaly

I had an ultrasound done to check for gall stones and all was good with the exception of mild splenamegaly. I feel fine now but I was wondering what the next step would be.  My doctor did a complete CBC, Liver Panel and Lipase tests and they all came back perfect.  

She thinks is nothing to be concerned about unless it causes symptoms in the future.

The report read "There is mild spenomegaly with the spleen measuring 13.3 cm in transverse dimension. The spleen is of normal echotexture. THe gallbladder is sonographically normal. The common bile duct is normal in diameter measuring 3.7 mm. The kidneys, pancreas and liver are sonographically normal.

Should I puruse further testing or watch it over time?

How mild is this?  What is the high end of normal?
A normal spleen measures less than 13cm on ultrasound.  Your measurement of 13.3cm is indeed only mildly enlarged.

The normal blood tests are comforting, suggesting no acute disease.  A peripheral smear of the blood should also be considered to look for atypical cells.  

If there continues to be suspicion of splenic disease, an abdominal CT scan can be considered looking for malignancy.  The more definitive option would be a biopsy - but should only be considered if there was suspicion of more serious disease.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
A related discussion, Mild splenomegaly was started.
A related discussion, Mild splenomegaly with pain was started.