Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Mild but continuing discomfort from stomach

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I'm a 44 yr old male in good health with no known long term problems and never in general suffered from indigestion. First week in Feb 05 I was on a ski holiday. In the last day or so of the holiday I got what I consider to be really bad indigestion and my stomach also became bloated. It was so bad I could not sleep. On returning home I took to my bed with some type of virus infection, bad headache, sick, temp etc, however I am suseptible to virus/flus and this was no different other than the indegestion. The incident left me with what I can only descibe as a hollow feeling in my upper stomch area (maybe also described a slight pressing feeling) that I noticed early in the morning before rising. I seem to remember it disappeared completely after a week or two. Then about a month later the feeling of hollowness in my upper stomach area returned. No way is this feeling either a pain or burning but noneltheless it continues. I can now generally feel it during the day as well and I have noticed that my middle to lower stomach feels slightly more bloated as well. Maybe my stools are more firm these days as well, but they are normal if slighly less frequent, but this is a marginal observation. I finally went to my doctor two weeks ago who gave me Nexium tablets and tested me for helibactor. The helibactor is negative and the tablets have had no effect. He mentioned doing a ultrasound scan next. Have you any idea what the heck this could be the start of?
Possible causes can include an ulcer, gastritis, or gallbladder/liver disease.  

The H Pylori test was a reasonable option, and negative.  I would consider an upper GI series or upper endoscopy for further evaluation.  If negative, you can consider an ultrasound to look at the liver and gallbladder.  

If these tests remain negative, you can consider more specialized testing - including a 24-hr pH study looking further at GERD.

You can discuss these options with your personal physician or in conjunction with a GI evaluation.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
I woke up on March 4 with a burning feeling in my throat and sharp pains in my stomach. It was so bad that I went to the ER. I was treated released and given nexium to take. I took that for a few days but the pain and burning was still there. I went to a GI and he did an endo and found that I had H pylori and esophagitis. He gave me the Prevpac and I took it for the two weeks but at the end I felt some what better. When I returned to the GI he stated that I needed to take prevacid for the next 3 months. I am taking the prevacid 30 mg but the burning feeling and the sharp pains are still there. I sometimes get sharp pains on my lower right side of my stomach area. I feel a shortness of breath and a tightening of my chest. I have had one bout with sharp chest pains but it went away and to date has not returned. He told me the prevpak would treat the H Pylori infection and the prevacid would shut down the pumps so that my throat could heal. I feel about the same as I did on March 4 and I am wondering what else can I do to fix this situation. Is there a chance that there is something else wrong that was not considered by my GI?
Im 12 yrs. old and for the last couple days my stomach has been really bothering me. It feels like its hollow. Its sorta weird. this feeling goes on and off but it comes back like every 2-5 minutes. i tryed laying down but it didnt work. I really want to know whats going on can you help me? what wrong with me?
I have had chronic stomach problems that started a couple of years ago. I went on a trip to Florida with my family and started to experience discomfort in my stomach. I wouldn't call it burning, but it was very distracting and sometimes caused me to just stop where I was because the pain was so great. It felt like a normal stomach ache, but after a couple of days of chronic stomach problems, I reliezed that this wasn't anything normal for me. When I started to have bloody and very soft stool, I checked myself into a health building and was eventually given a CAT scan. They decided that I had apendicitis, but my brother actually pointed something out when he saw the scan results that led them to believe otherwise. I was checked into a hospital and put on an IV so that I wouldn't have to eat. Eventually, the doctors there were pressing to remove my apendix, but my mother was against it until there was proof that it was really necessary. I agreed with her, personally. Eventually, I was drinking beef broth and eating pudding, and after about 5 days in the hospital, I was able to eat solid foods without much trouble, and they allowed me to go home.
Since then, I have had similar stomach aches but my stools have remained relatively normal. I get the aches very often, usually around 3 times a week. I have decided that when I eat especially punishing foods (foods high in acidity, salt, or oil) I get the aches. Prior to my hospital stay, I never had a problem, and I have been eating very spicy and oily asian foods my entire life and continue to do so, usually without incident. My family has noticed easily that I get them more than I should. I am wondering what could possibly be causing this discomfort. Is there some sort of virus or bacteria I could have had that have a long-lasting or permenant effect even after recovery? The pains are a bit burning and also sometimes hollow.
A related discussion, discomfort upper stomach was started.
A related discussion, stomach discomfort was started.