Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Milk of Magnesia

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Milk of Magnesia

I cannot produce a bowel movement unless I take at least 3 of the dose cups of Milk of Magnesia every day. Then I am terribly nauseous and start to swell until I finally have a bowel movement. I was told by my Gast. that I have a long *** colon and that I may have to consider colon reduction. I have had to take laxatives since a teenager, I am now 44 and was told today that my cat-scan showed liver spots which may be considered a "fatty liver". Any suggestions?
Further evaluation can be done with a lower endoscopy, either a colonoscopy or flexible sigmoidoscopy.  This test can exclude anatomical causes leading to your symptoms, or a mass.

I would also consider blood tests to exclude thyroid disease, which also can lead to constipation.  

Another GI opinion can be sought if the diagnosis continues to be non-revealing.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin Pho, M.D.

KevinMD.com
Twitter.com/KevinMD
Facebook.com/KevinMDblog
I also have been on Synthyroid since I was 14 and was told that I would NEVER be able to go off this medication.

I had a colonoscopy the first of this year and that's why the G astrologist said all he could tell me was that my colon was over 6' long and that it was just going to take "time" for my food to be digested and disposed of properly or take Miralax and other over the counter stimulates to help me.

I have aslo done what they call a "pellet test" where you swallow about 4-5 pellet type pills and watch them after about 2 days to see where they are within the digestive tract but mine went through the tract fine. We are repeating this test in the upcoming weeks before any type of colon reduction surgery is considered.

Any other suggestions doctor?
Also, I had the flexible sigmoidoscopy back in July of this year. Had some inflammation but nothing to be concerned about. And the colon did have a slight turn near the end but......... back at square 1 I guess!