Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Mucus after Bowel movement

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Mucus after Bowel movement

I am 51 years old.  I have suffered off and on with hemorrhoids for the last 2 years.  Lately they have been under control.  But, I have noticed for the past few weeks, that after I have a Bowel movement, there is a little white mucus in the toilet.  I thought it was coming from the front but it is not, that one is different, this is always after a bowel movement and not when I urinate.  Others write that it happens after they wipe, but this is before wiping, and when I wipe there is nothing there.  It is only in the toilet.  Do you have any idea what it is? It is not in my stool, it is floating in the water near the stool.
Hemorrhoids are certainly possible, but at age 51, you want to exclude more serious causes.

This can include cancer or polyps.  Because of these possibilities, a colonoscopy is advised.  

Other tests to consider would be stool tests to exclude an infection or malabsorption.  A blood test can also be considered for celiac disease.

These options can be discussed with a GI physician.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin Pho, M.D.

KevinMD.com
Twitter.com/kevinmd