Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
My Father continues to throw up after eating and denies it...

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

My father is 57 and in good shape, expect has a large belly.  For the last 3 years, he has been throwing up most of his food right after eating.  He hides this from his family and denies it when my mom asks him about it.  I had acid reflux and it runs on his side of the family.  I am concerned that he is getting worse, and has won't take steps to find out what is causing this to occur.  He may be on some reflux meds, but they are obviously not working.  After he throws up, he will not touch the rest of his food.  We are having an "intervention" and insisting that he see a Dr. and possibly get an upper GI.  His PCP may know something, but he doesn't know how bad it is.  Here is my question:  I want to give my dad some examples about what will happen if he doesn't get this problem fixed.  I know that he can get Barrett's Epithelium, espophageal cancer among other things.  Could he possibly have an ulcer or something else going on that I may suggest?  My reflux only occurred when I ate before bed, which was cured by medicine.  I am just so worry about my dad, and now I am putting my food down by using the facts.  I just want to facts to help me with this intervention. Thank you.
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

This absolutely should be evaluated and it is good that you are taking to steps to make this happen.  

There are many causes for vomiting.  These include pancreatitis, biliary disease, an ulcer or inflammation of the esophagus or stomach, any type of cancer including esophageal or stomach cancer, delayed gastric emptying (gastroparesis), or metabolic distubances such as diabetes, hypercalcemia or adrenal insufficiency.  

Given his age, there is increased risk for an obstructive lesion (i.e. cancer).  Ideally, an upper endoscopy should be performed.  An upper GI series as you suggest would also be an acceptable initial study.  

If that is negative, you may want to consider a gastric emptying scan to evaluate for gastroparesis.  

In any case, this needs to be absolutely evaluated and it seems that you are taking the right steps to make this happen.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
Your father could have GASTROPARESIS  which is defined as having a weak and delayed emptying of the stomach. There is suppose to be a new surgery for this which is called GASTRACTOMY- removal of all or part of the stomach, in reality same as a GI-BYPASS.
A related discussion, Response to "My Dad Throws Up After Every Meal" was started.