Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
My liver biospy showed scar tissue and cirrhosis

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I am very upset and afraid.  On October 23, 2003 I was Dx with HCV. and after verious tests on May 28, 2004. I was told by my doctor that scar tissue in my liver rated on a scale of 1-4 with 4 being cirrhosis or a lot of scar tissue would be 2. I than was encouraged to consider treatment.

Is Cancer and Cirrhosis the same Illnessd? Or how do each differ from the other? I thought HCV was my biggest problem, now I also have Liver Cirrhosis, please help me .

I Work in a very stressful job, with lots of over-time. I don't know if I can handle treatment and not show I am weak and sick.

I am going to see my doctor next week and I want to have questions to ask concerning Cirrhosis and HCV.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I HAVE TO TELL YOU ALL THIS WEB SITE IS VERY VERY VERY GOOD, BECAUSE IT GIVE PEOPLE WHO ARE SICK AND AFRAID MEDICAL HELP AND SUPPORT WHEN THEY NEED IT.

SINCERELY
NOTALRIGHTIND

Thank you for your kind words.

Cancer and cirrhosis are not the same thing.  In cirrhosis of the liver, scar tissue replaces normal, healthy tissue, blocking the flow of blood through the organ and preventing it from working as it should.  

Hepatitis C is one of the major causes of cirrhosis.  Infection with this virus causes inflammation of and low grade damage to the liver that over several decades can lead to cirrhosis.  The fact that you have cirrhosis likely means that treatment for hepatitis C would be in your best interest.  

Liver cancer are tumors that form within the liver.  There are many types of tumors in the liver.  It is likely that the cirrhosis is due to hepatitis C and less likely cancer.  To further determine this, imaging with an ultrasound or CT scan can be done.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b