Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
NAUSEA/NOISY STOMACH

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

NAUSEA/NOISY STOMACH

FOR OVER 1.5 YEARS I'VE HAD NAUSEA AND SICK FEELING STOMACH.  I'VE HAD CT (ABDOMINAL / PELVIC) WHICH WAS NEG., EMPTYING STUDY (BORDERLINE), UPPER ENDO WAS NEG., STOOL TEST WAS NEG., HIDA-SCAN (32% EJECTION FRACTION), BLOOD TESTS ALL NEG.. THE DOC SAID IT WAS MY GALL BLADDER AND RECOMMENDED REMOVAL, WHICH I DID.  STILL FEEL THE SAME.  DOC PERFORMED ERCP WHICH IMMEDIATELY CAUSED ME TO GET PANCREATITIS A YEAR AGO.  RECENT CT'S ARE ALL NEGATIVE.  MY CURRENT SYMPTOMS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
NAUSEA AT DIFFERENT TIMES, SICK FEELING STOMACH, BLOATING (FULL FEELING), AND VERY NOISY STOMACH / BOWELS.  EVEN IF I AWAKE AT 4:00 IN THE MORNING OR HOURS AFTER I'VE EATEN MY GUT RUMBLES VERY LOUDLY AND SEEMS TO INTENSIFY THE NAUSEA AT TIMES.  I NOT ONLY HEAR THE SOUNDS BUT FEEL IT AS WELL. SOMETIMES HAVE ALTERNATING BOUTS OF DIARRHEA (MAYBE TWICE IN A ROW BUT THEN BACK TO NORMAL). OTHERWISE MY STOOLS ARE ALWAYS SOFT. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT I EAT (I'VE TRIED DIFFERENT DIETS) I THE SAME.  SOMETIMES 3 TO 4 DAYS WILL PASS AND I FEEL OK, BUT THEN IT'S BACK.  COULD THIS BE STRESS?
You have had a pretty thorough evaluation for upper GI disorders.  Another consideration would be a 24-hr pH study and esophageal motility test.  These can often be arranged by your gastroenterologist at a motility lab.  Certainly unresolved GERD or any esophageal motility disorder can cause your symptoms.  

If those tests are negative, you may want to consider irritable bowel disease as a diagnosis.  The first steps would be increasing the amount of fiber in the diet and possible antispasmodic agents.  You may want to discuss this possibility with your gastroenterologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
see my post above
I FORGOT TO MENTION I WAS 41 YEARS OLD.
ANOTHER SYMPTOM IS THAT I HICCUP ABOUT 10 TO 15 TIMES EVERYTIME I GET OUT OF BED IN THE MORNINGS AND SOMETIMES AFTER I EAT.
I don't understand why in all these people complaining about
diarrhea and stomach sounds - nobody suggests you get tested for Fructose Intolerance.   I was and I am.   My main complaint is diarrhea (sometimes terrible 3-4 times per day) and sometimes 1-2 times - always soft stools if it isn't bad diarrhea.  Statitics claim 75% of all people have this and don't know why they get upset stomachs/diarrhea.  It is caused by the food people eat.
THANKS DR. JEA.