Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
NISSEN WRAP...HOW LONG DOES IT LAST?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

NISSEN WRAP...HOW LONG DOES IT LAST?

I have an 8 1/2 year old son who had the nissen wrap surgery performed at 6 months of age. At this time, he still cannot burp or even vomit when sick. I have spoke to the surgeon who did all of his follow-up care, but have recieved no helpful information. She says that noone has done the actual studies to determine how long this procedure will be remain secure. I have spent the last 8 years worrying about everything my son consumes, due to the fact that his body cannot rid itself of harmful substances! If anyone can relate to my question, or offer guidance in finding an answer, I would greatly appreciate it.
Hi Sonja - I had the Nissen Funduplication surgery performed in September of 1995.  My surgery only lasted 5 1/2 years.  I now experience terrible heartburn and acid reflux.  I was told this past year that the average time that this procedure is guaranteed to work is 7 to 10 years.  I was told this by several different doctors.  I hope you get the answers that you need for your son.  I'm sorry that he is so young and having to go through that.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.  Take care and have a GREAT week.
Boy, I sure did not want to hear about the nissan life expectancy--no one told me that part. I'm not so sure anymore, if I would go through it again. I had a severe reflux episode(not heartburn)Saturday night. I awoke choking in my sleep. I can belch and I have vomited quite a few times since my nissan almost two years ago.I thought the wrap was good for a very long time--not 5 to 7 years. Also, do you know of anyone who lost their spleen or had their stomach rupture. My stomach looks like a road map--not a pretty site for a 52 year old. I am so depressed and disgusted with my health, but I just keep praying that tomorrow will be better. I don't want to sleep sitting up again. thanks BG
Sorry to disappoint you Bionic Granny. I just wanted to let everyone know what I have found out.  I'm with you, had I known the surgery was not meant to last a life time, I'm not sure I would have had the surgery either.  Because of other medical problems I am not a candidate to have it redone.  So I guess I will just have to settle for Nexium twice a day.  It would have been nice if the surgeon would have told me this BEFORE I had it done.
Well, today I look like I'm 7 months pregnant. I am so bloated and in pain, I could kick the doctors, if they were here. My surgeon is really trying his best to help me and he really isn't obligated to do so. It's my gastro that makes me mad. I've tried reglan to speed up digestion, but it makes me so sick to my stomach and very restless. I'm going to give it one more try--4th time. Something has got to help with the bloating and pain. Some people just don't understand what we go through. As they say, sometimes the cure is worse than the cause. I first said I would do it all over again, just to eat and sleep, but NEVER again. I just pray that the wrap did not come undone--I go see th
e surgeon on the 22nd. Pray all goes well. God Bless You.