Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
NORMAL bowel movements

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

NORMAL bowel movements

I would like to know what a normal bowel movement should look like. Even more, should it float or sink. I can't seem to find this answer anywhere online. I am a Celiac and have been told that a floating stool means there is too much fat in the stool, a characteristic of Celiac Disease. But I can not find anything on this to confirm that or not. Please help. Does a healthly stool float or sink?
Brown?
This is an interesting question.  I donot know the answer but I am going to my gastro. dr next week and will ask him  I am curious beause my husband says he knows when he is sick cause then his stool floats.  But my stool floated for the first 28 years of my life and only began sinking after I was very ill with an unexplained stomach problem.  Now my guts are rebelling again and my stool is yellow and still sinking.  I'm going to bookmark this page ant tell you how it goes.  Good luck
Supposedly a healthy,nourished body produces a stool that floats.
when I am eating healthily and am generally well, my stools are solid and float.  I am a 30 year veggie...  Maybe it is a characteristic of high fibre herbivorous diets...
I found this at
http://www.marysherbs.com/anat-lar.htm

Everyone should have at least 3 complete bowel movements every day.  {Doctors have told me that they do not have 3 BM a day, which goes to prove that they are ignorant on its importance and are full of it :) }

Feces should have the consistency of mashed potatoes and should have no objectionable odor.

Floating feces indicates an ample amount of bulk.

hope this helps

I found this at
http://www.marysherbs.com/anat-lar.htm

hope this helps

I had heard previously that a stool with too much fat will float  - but today I was down at a colon clinic and they said a stool with too much fat will sink?????  - so I am also in search of a definitive answer to that question
It makes no sense that a stool with excess fat would tend to sink rather than float. Excess gas and or fat would lessen the density of the stool and cause it to be more likely to float. In salad dressing the oil floats on the water or vinegar. When you make soup, the animal fat will float to the top and congeal when cooled. I don't see how fat could make stool more likely to sink.
my stool movement is black
A related discussion, bowel movements was started.
A related discussion, NORMAL bowel movements was started.