Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Nausea, intermittent diarrhea, feeling sick and Hpylori infection

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I have been suffering for 5 weeks with Nausea intermittent diarrhea lack of appetite. Two weeks ago I did a full blood workup which showed H pylori infection with everything else normal. Also did an abdominal ultrasound which was normal.

This past Friday morning June 29th I woke up with a low grade fever(100.8) and extreme nausea and just a feeling of being quite sick (I have also lost about 12 pounds). I went to the emergency room and once again full blood work was done everything was normal
The doctor in the emergency room agreed with my primary care doctor to try to eradicate the H pylori with and antibiotic regimen and go from there. They couldn't really explain the fever other than I might have had some infection too. The fever has since gone.
In Dec05 I had an upper endoscopy  showed gastritis and acid reflux disease and a moderate sized  hiatal hernia. I was supposed to go on prevacid but never did.
I also had a colonoscopy in Feb of this year to check for hemorrhoids which were there and everything else was normal.

My main question is this..  is stomach cancer is less likely to be a cause of things because of a semi recent  upper endoscopy done 18months ago and an abdominal/pelvic CT done March 06 which was normal
Could all this really be caused by an H pylori infection?

Thanks for any feedback,

Mike

Stomach cancer is less likely given a normal upper endoscopy.  If the symptoms continue, repeating the upper endoscopy can be considered - since the last one was done in 2005.

H Pylori is also possible.  Obtaining a CLOtest via the endoscopy can help with the diagnosis.  Other modalities for testing would include stool and breath tests.    The antibiotic regimen for eradication is not 100% effective, and may be repeated or changed.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_