Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Nausea still 12 months after Gallbladder removal

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Hi - I'm asking this on behalf of my Dad. he had his Gallbladder removed by keyhole surgery approx 12 months ago. he suffers from Gilberts Syndrome, so the initial nausea was put down to this. However this has continued ever since, and seem to be getting worse.

The nausea has become almost permanant. It is worse after eating, and also at night. He has had numerous tests, including endoscopys, colonoscopy, barium meal and CT scan (this showed the pancreas was ok). The colonoscopy revealed diverticulitis, but only a small area. His GP has him on Losec, but I think this is because he doesn't really know what else to give him - Dad did have a stomach ulcer 2 years ago but it has cleared up. Blood tests all come back clear.

Dad is getting very depressed about this. He hardly eats because it makes him feel so ill. He was put on Cipramil (?spelling?) on the advice of his consultant, but his GP took him off it quite quickly - yet it did seem to help him. His consultant and GP have said he has biliary gastritis and there's nothing to be done except get on with it - but to be honest theydon't have to live with it and it is affecting his quality of life. And my mums! Apparently this happens sometimes after Gallbladder removal.

Dad also suffers from diarrhoea once or twice a day. We dopn't klnow if this is linked - dad no longer thinks it is. He says the nauseais very like that when his Gilberst flares up - and I know how horrible that is cos I have it too.

Is it worth pushing for anything else? We really don't know where to go with this anymore, and it is so distressing to see my Dad like this.

Thank you. Kangy

There has already been a comprehensive evaluation performed.  

You can consider more specialized testing, such as a gastric emptying scan or tests for esophageal motility.  

The biliary ducts and Sphincter of Oddi can also be tested for.  Atypically, diseases here can lead to nausea.  An MRCP or Sphincter of Oddi manometry can be considered.  

Diarrhea can be further evaluated by testing the stool for malabsorption and blood tests for celiac disease.

These options can be discussed with his gastroenterologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
My sister had her gallbladder removed years ago.  It took her a little over a year to get rid of her nausau.  She actually threw up the fatty part of her meals too.  Thankfully she was fine after that.  Hope all is better soon.
I also had my gallbladder out and had similar problems for at least a year.  I very highly recommend you go to a natural food store (like Whole Foods) and get the liquid ginger supplement.  The folks in the supplement area will know exactly what you need.  Then after he eats, have him put a dropper full in a glass of tepid to cool (not cold) water and drink it down.  It helped me SO much and I still take it from time to time when my stomach feels sick.

If you don't have a health food store around, you can get some ginger root at the grocery store (even powdered will work 'ok') and put it in a bottle of grain alcohol such as Everclear and let it sit for awhile.  You would use a whole root chopped up or a whole bottle of the powered ginger root per bottle of Everclear.  Remember only a few drops is needed at a time, and always in a glass of water.
I had my gall bladder out in March 2006, after several trips to the ER, and noone believing me until they gave me morphine, they realized I had SOD.  I had 2 ercp within a week apart in indiana at iu hospital, since then my nausea is completly gone,  I had the nausea so bad that it would wake me up out of a dead sleep, i lost 25 pounds because i couldn't eat, my family and dr's thought I was crazy.  I have since gained my weight back and am able to eat everything again,  I would say about 2 weeks after the ERCP and manometry my symptoms were almost gone. They were even given me cancer medicine to help w/ the nausea and nothing would help.  I would suggest your dad go to a dr that specializes in ERCP's!!!! Good luck
been there done all that........
i will say i had about 2 weeks of relief form the Sphincter of oddie duct repair but after that it was back to torture as usual since then i have noticed that my pain and nuasea increase as my mestral cycle nears its end........and shortly after my period i have about 2 days of no or VERY littel pain or nuasea
i have been on eveyr IBS med made (as well *** motility , and ulcer andany kind of pill you can imaigne)with no indication of easing the pain or nuasea..i have been on all kinds of  meds to help with the nuasea but my body doens not repsond to any of htem includin the heavy stuff given for chemo patients......
i have been to all kindds of docs including an endocrinologist as my gastro said since it seem tied to my cycle it must be hormonal but of course as with ALL of my tests i am perfectrly NORMAL....... THis last year i am living on peptobixmal and ginger but even the two together cant ease the discomfort ih ave been having......and it all started shortly afte ri had my twins 8 years ago.......anynway i havea household to run and the pain meds persribed make it IMPOSSIBLE for me to function as amother.they  make me even more useless than my illness..... any help is great ehre im having serouse thougth of suicide on day liek today when you can get NO relife what so ever and must lay aroudn or move VERY slowly .....I dont have time for this im younge(33) andihavea family (3 kids, hubby &dog & fish) to care for......i want to be all better! help please help!
My husband has been sick for the pass year. He was told he had tongue cancer in Oct 2005 he went through all the treatments and was also sick (nausea and voitming ) all the time. He went through a lot of test and a g-tube and ptn feedings and final a j-tube and still he had the nausea and voitimg he was in and out of the hospital for the pass 6 mths with this problem no one could figure out what was wrong until the last visit to the ER all the test came back fine but he was still in pain and getting sick. The ER doctor finally told him he was going through withdrawal. We went to the stomach doctors and told him what the er doctor said and he finally agreed and thats what it was withdrawal from pain meds. He is doing great now still has the feeding tube but that is coming out soon. He is eating and does not feel sick anymore. So the people out there who are getting sick and are on pain meds please take in to consideration that it may be your pain meds.
I have had my gallbladder removed 7 weeks ago.  NO nausea till 10 days AFTER the surgery.  NOW some indigestion. Phenegrin DID not work and Reglan kept me up ALL NIGHT.  My questions are;  How soon till the nausea ends. I was told it could be 3-6 mo's....?!  I also have gained 3 lbs back.  Lost 12 since I got sick.  Has anyone had nausea this LONG?  IF so, how long did it last?  I have OK days then days like today and yesterday where it feels I can puke but never do.

Let me know

A related discussion, I have this problem - More than 1 year later was started.