Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Nausea upon waking with vomitting

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Nausea upon waking with vomitting

I am a 34 YO Fem who is suffering from nausea upon waking followed in 15 - 30 min by vomitting of just ALLOT OF stomach acid and maybe a bit of water that I try to keep down on a daily basis now for about a month and a half.  I have tried seven up and other things with no luck to raise sugar along with food (that ended fast), tums and mentally trying to phych myself out of it.  I have not seen a doc as seems silly but getting worried a bit.  In the past 4 years I have lost my appetite completely, but do try to eat but find the thought of food many times is nauseating.  Due to that my bm are irregular and diahria is not uncommon.  I have lost about 20 # and am rather thin 125# @ 5'9".  I am a smoker and am down to about 10 a day, and do drink and find that the alchohal does not bother my tummy and can actually help.  I read all about heartburn, GURD (gerd), etc and wondering 1 - should I be worried 2 - what does this sound like ie. heartburn?, acid refux, I don't know much if anything about these things.  I was diagnosed with HypoGlycemia years ago and was hospitalized for stress about 7 yrs. ago and have been trying the breathing again as it tends to help a bit.  I have recently moved, and do find I am seseptible to getting stressed out.  Hoping to start with a trip to the drug store to start and go from there as money is tight and no ins.  Thanks for any insight.
Possible causes would include GERD, an ulcer, or inflammation of the upper digestive tract.  

A reasonable initial test would be an upper GI series, and/or an upper endoscopy (the latter test would be the more comprehensive test).  

If negative, you can consider an abdominal ultrasound to look at the liver and gallbladder.

More specialized testing can be considered if the workup continues to be non-revealing.  This can include a gastric emptying scan looking for gastroparesis.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
BTW - absolutely NO chance I am pregnant
A few other things, my stomach sometimes becomes distended and the stomic acid coming up is mixed with like a white foamy phlem, could be from laying all night as I am a smoker who has the morning klennex ritual to clear sinuses.
I was only here to look up a symptom that my daughter has and I happened to read your post.  

I am sure that generally nausea and vomiting in the morning could be attributed to a vast number of things, but my experience with these particular symptoms has not been good.  

I would strongly encourage you to see physician if at all possible.  Maybe go to a walk in clinic?  Nausea upon awakening/moving first thing in the morning may be indicative of a neurological issue and is not limited to gastro-intestinal illness.  

Please see a physician -

Lionsden
hi
lionsden,i like ur nick name by the way. I have almost similar symptoms pain and nausea when i get up. What kind of neurological disorder are u talking about. And my doctor sudgested i should quit smoking because there is strong connection between  stomach lining secretion and nicotine stimulation(very proven fact), so today is my first day quiting and people with GI problems please give smoking up.
I too have a problem similar to the one mentioned accept I do not smoke 10 cigarettes a day and do have a hard time holding down my liquor.  I have found for the past 10 years that I have a really hard time eatting in the morning (because of the nausea).  My parents always used to encourage me to eat breakfast cause it was the most important meal of the day blah blah blah but then finally they realised to just leave me alone.  I have found that I'm better off if I don't eat for atleast a half an hour to an hour after I wakeup.  Me and my family went on a trip to see the sites of Africa and me and my sister got very sick when we got back.  The general practitioners that I consulted all seemed to have trouble identifying why I was so sick. Finally almost a year after feeling nausea, puking, and terrible abdominal pains they figured out that we had a parasite.  My stomach continues to be quite weak and I still often feel nauseos in the morning.  I was wondering if it would be possible that my stomach is damaged from all the drugs I took before and after I went to Africa?  Also, I'm just curious does anyone know how often the average person pukes each year and how many times you have to puke a year to be particularly bad/most likely that you have a medical problem?  Oh also I forgot to mention that I think I may have some anxiety issues because I have had a history with puking during exams which is probably psychological though could be due to the fact that those exams were always in the morning?