Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Nexium Comparison

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Nexium Comparison

Definitively and in "laymen's terms", what is the difference between Nexium and Prilosec(omeprazole).  And, which is more effective in controlling acid reflux and stomach acid leading to duodenal ulcers, and repairing espohageal and duodenal damage caused by these two conditions?
In general, Nexium and Prilosec are very similar.  There is very little chemical difference between them.  

Some studies suggest that Nexium is an improvement on Prilosec, but those have been done on a lower dose of Prilosec.  

They are both effective in treatment of GERD, ulcers and repairing damage due to these conditions.  

There may be different tolerances to the medications, but that is patient dependent.  

These questions can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
be carefull if you are going to take omeprazole. I had heaps of side effects ,sore chest, heart racing, headaches etc. These effects took 2 months to appear and stopped when i knocked of the Omeprazole
Dr.,  I have done back-to-back comparisons with nexium and omeprazole and found nexium more effective in reducing my acid reflux.  Additionally, I began have duodenal ulcer problems at age 16 and meds were tried over the course of 41/2 decades with little lasting effect, until nexium was prescribed about 15 years ago.  Mu ulcer condition has been under control and acid reflux has reduced to a minimum.  I recently (3/07) was forced to switch to omemprazole by my insurance carrier and within 2 months noticed an increase in my reflux.  I'm trying to decide if the added expense of buying Nexium is supported by chemical and laboratory data.  If you can add anything to your comments or suggest a reasonably cost effective method of purchasing Nexium, I would appreciate it.  Thanks