Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Nexium VS Protonix

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Nexium VS Protonix

I have Barrett's Syndrome. Recently my prescription provider, Tricare, made Nexium the drug of choice. It will be to my financial advantage to change to Nexium. However, When I called Nexium , they finally admitted that Nexium wasn't a prescribed drug for my condition.

I presently take Protonix 40mg twice daily. I have used it over a seven year period.

Another drug approved by my provider is Prilosec 20mg twice daily..

I recently have my tri-annual Endoscopy and no evidence was found as to bad effects of Protronix

Is it advisable to move to the newer accepted drugs or should I stay with Protonix, which will rise considerable in cost?

My Doctor gave me a prescription for Prilosec. While I trust him fully, I do not have the confidence in the Drug companies, especially when they hesitate to answer a reasonable question and rely on "ask your Dr."

Please give me your view. I make it a habit to ask questions and do research when it may affect my health

Thank you,

sasebo
There is no data that suggests a significant difference between Protonix and Nexium.  

Nexium is an appropriate appoach to Barrett's esophagus.  Prilosec and Nexium are also very similar.  Prilosec has a cost advantage of having a generic equivalent.  

These questions can be addressed with your personal physician or GI physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
Thanks, as soon as mu Protonix runs out I will most likely switch to the Generic.
Just so you know Dr. Pho, Nexium is on tier one for patients with tricare (such as the patient above). This means that Nexium will cost him $3/month, the same as omeprazole. So Prilosec would not have the cost advantage.

As an additional fyi, there are quite a few studies showing Nexium's superiority within acid control and the healing of erosive esophagitis vs. Protonix, Prevacid, and Aciphex (see Miner, Castell, Lauritsen, Lind).. in fact, Protonix proves to be the LEAST effective in these arenas.

Nexium is not only an appropriate choice for someone with Barret's, but the BEST choice and the least expensive option for the patient above.
Does Nexium or other proton pump inhibitors continue to heal and affect below the level of the stomach where it affects acid production?
A related discussion, Intestinal metaplasia stage 2 was started.
A related discussion, which is the safer drug, prevacid or nexium was started.